You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-04 02:46:57

isez2001

Logitech Mediaplay mouse button configuration

I have a Logitech MediaPlay 15-button mouse, which I have never gotten entirely working in Linux, due to poor driver support, and my lack of desire to use hacks.

With the lastest version of evdev (1.1.2, from testing), all buttons are finally recognized, but they do not configure themselves properly.

As the device configures itself, it is assigned 20 buttons (even though there are really only 15), and tilting the scrollwheel left or right generates two buttons clicks (7,11 and 6,12 respectively).  Forward/back is assigned to buttons 6 and seven (that's right, the tilt wheel), but that can be fixed easily with xmodmap.  Side scrolling does not seem to work at all.  Buttons 1+3 are left and right click, and 4+5 as expected.  Button two (middle click) seems to search Google for whatever text I last highlighted--I don't know if that's a problem, or if it's just a weird Firefox setting.

The rest of the buttons all act as left-click, but they should have media functions (volume, play/pause, skip forward/back).  Once the main buttons are figured out, thouse should be handled with XBindKeys, I think(?), but that's problem for later.

So, my main problem right now is getting rid of the duplicate button events from the tilt wheel, followed immediately by making that same tilt wheel handle horizontal scrolling (with any luck, fixing the first will fix the second, too).

Any ideas?

#2 2006-09-04 06:38:57

niqo

Re: Logitech Mediaplay mouse button configuration

I have this mouse and I use lmpcm_usb driver :
http://daemon.prozone.ws/~david/projects/lmpcm_usb/

Arch package :
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=3186

for loading lmpcm_usb module at boot before usbhid module, just add this in your /etc/rc.conf : '!usbhid lmpcm_usb usbhid'
ex:
MODULES=( yourmodules ... !usbhid lmpcm_usb usbhid)

#3 2006-09-04 16:24:04

isez2001

In theory, I don't think we should need a custom driver anymore.

Something like lmpcm used to be necessary because the standard X input drivers would not recognize more than 12 (I think) buttons.  Now that evdev seems to be recognizing all buttons mostly correctly on its own, we should be able to configure everything with scripts rather than having to compile a custom kernel module.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

#4 2006-09-19 05:40:32

niqo

ok,
let me know if you find a way to configure this mouse with evdev.

#5 2007-09-16 22:16:48

rico1986
Website

how to get that media play buttons work in xfce ?

regards, Tim

#6 2007-09-17 18:05:32

mac57
Website

See this ArchWiki page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MX1000_Buttons

Although the article is centered on the Logitech MX1000 mouse, the approach is entirely generic and should work for ANY mouse.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

Board footer