You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-17 14:56:35

bartman

[Solved] Problem with keyboard layout when using rdesktop

Hi!

My keyboard layout seems to work pretty well under linux but I have one problem. I'm using rdesktop to connect to remote Windows servers and when the cursor is in the Windows login boxes the keyboard layout sl_SI goes a bit crazy. Even if I change between layouts in /etc/rc.conf the behaviour persists.

This strange behaviour is limited to using AltGr (see layout if you don't know which key that is) which is essential for getting important symbols like \|[]@{}~. If I repeat the exact same keystrokes in the remote desktop user name field I get this mess: žŽšđ"ŠĐ.

I tried using xvkbd (X Virtual Keyboard) and the exact same symptoms are noticable with remote desktop but it does complayin in the console that "xvkbd: although ISO_Level3_Shift is used instead, AltGr may not work correctly".

$ locale -a
C
POSIX
en_GB.utf8
sl_SI
sl_SI.iso88592
sl_SI.utf8
slovene
slovenian

$ cat /etc/rc.conf | grep KEYMAP
# KEYMAP: keymaps are found in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps
KEYMAP="sl_SI.utf8"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "CoreKeyboard"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "si"
EndSection

Help! I don't want to reboot into Windows for remote desktop sessions which are just a few stupid characters away! sad

Last edited by bartman (2007-09-17 20:20:37)

#2 2007-09-17 20:20:11

bartman

Re: [Solved] Problem with keyboard layout when using rdesktop

Never mind!

I guess I always forget to look somewhere and this time I found the answer on rdesktop's bug tracker: [ 1480242 ] Polish characters issue.

Apparently all I need to do is run rdesktop with the -k switch to set the session keymap.

Board footer