You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-17 21:52:22

ristretto

How make pacman ignore a package?

alsa-lib is required for gcc-gcj.  Pacman wants to install alsa-lib-1.0.14-5.  But, I have already installed alsa-lib-1.0.15rc1 outside of pacman.  So, pacman doesn't think it's installed.  Is there a way to make pacman think it's installed?  Also, it would be good if it's ignored in future system updates too.

Note: I looked at the pacman and pacman.conf man pages.  And tried IgnorePkg, which didn't do the job.

Last edited by ristretto (2007-09-17 21:53:28)

#2 2007-09-17 22:02:16

fwojciec

Re: How make pacman ignore a package?

ristretto wrote:

alsa-lib is required for gcc-gcj.  Pacman wants to install alsa-lib-1.0.14-5.  But, I have already installed alsa-lib-1.0.15rc1 outside of pacman.  So, pacman doesn't think it's installed.  Is there a way to make pacman think it's installed?  Also, it would be good if it's ignored in future system updates too.

Note: I looked at the pacman and pacman.conf man pages.  And tried IgnorePkg, which didn't do the job.

You can skip pacman dependency checks by doing pacman -Sd package,

#3 2007-09-17 22:12:57

ristretto

That would work, but it's not ideal.  If the package has more dependencies than just alsa-lib, I don't what the others skipped.  I really just want pacman to think alsa-lib is installed (which it is.)

#4 2007-09-17 22:21:47

FeatherMonkey

Try man pacman.conf according to that you can place it in there and it'll be ignored.

NoUpgrade = foo/bar or ignore.

#5 2007-09-17 22:23:11

fwojciec

ristretto wrote:

That would work, but it's not ideal.  If the package has more dependencies than just alsa-lib, I don't what the others skipped.  I really just want pacman to think alsa-lib is installed (which it is.)

You can just find out what the other dependencies are and install them by hand...

If you really want to make pacman think that alsa-lib is installed you'd need to make a PKGBUILD for a package called alsa-lib and install it - for example package what you installed outside of pacman as alsa-lib.  That would be the proper way to do it, in fact.  I can't say for sure, but I imagine that it would be very easy to adjust the standard Arch alsa-lib PKGBUILD to use 1.0.15rc1 as the source, probably as easy as updating the version number and md5sum in the PKGBUILD.

actually wait... I'll post a PKGBUILD for you here in a moment....

#6 2007-09-17 22:26:56

shining
Pacman Developer

ristretto wrote:

Indeed, that's why using packages is the ideal way tongue

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#7 2007-09-17 22:40:53

fwojciec

OK - here is a link to what I made: [link removed]

Download, untar, change into the created directory and run "makepkg" and then install the package with pacman -U alsa-lib-1.0.15rc1.tar.bz2.  That should create and install an alsa-lib package for you.

The package is based on default Arch alsa-lib PKGBUILD but uses the version of sources you need (1.0.15rc1).  FYI - I had to remove one patch which wouldn't apply cleanly to this version of the source, but then if you had installed it with make/make install you wouldn't have that patch anyways.  The package does include "python2.5.patch" just like the Arch package.

Ideally you would uninstall the package you have installed from source first (by running "sudo make uninstall" - most likely - from the directory where you installed it from originally).  This is not completely necessary though - I think you should be able to install it anyways, and in case it complains that files already exist you can always use pacman -Uf to force overwriting files.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK OF COURSE wink

Also, let me know when you are done with it or if you're not going to use it so I can remove that link.  Thanks.

Last edited by fwojciec (2007-09-18 02:03:58)

#8 2007-09-18 01:49:02

ristretto

fwojciec wrote:

Also, let me know when you are done with it or if you're not going to use it so I can remove that link.  Thanks.

Thanks, I got it.  Was hoping for something a bit simpler, so will have to put this aside until I can spend more time on it.  I'm sure it's not complicate, once you understand it.  smile  So, anyway, go ahead and remove it.

#9 2007-09-18 02:12:46

fwojciec

ristretto wrote:
fwojciec wrote:

Thanks, I got it.  Was hoping for something a bit simpler, so will have to put this aside until I can spend more time on it.  I'm sure it's not complicate, once you understand it.  smile  So, anyway, go ahead and remove it.

Like I said - the easy workaround, for now at least, would be to try and install whatever package you're installing, see what dependencies it requires and wants to install, cancel and install the dependencies by hand (minus alsa-lib) and finally install the package with ignore dependencies option.

As far as ABS/PKGBUILDs are concerned - they are one of the best, if not the best feature of Arch.  Indeed, they are not complicated, but you need to read the wiki and experiment a bit first before you'll get how they work...  It's definitely worth learning though, IMO, they are a very powerful tool (you can use them to customize packages, like this one, or a kernel for example, build your own packages and so forth).  Anyways, good luck.

#10 2007-09-18 02:40:31

ristretto

fwojciec wrote:

Like I said - the easy workaround, for now at least, would be to try and install whatever package you're installing, see what dependencies it requires and wants to install, cancel and install the dependencies by hand (minus alsa-lib) and finally install the package with ignore dependencies option.

I was considering that method before I posted.  I figured there must be a more sane and elegant method.  I'm not saying the "create your own package" method isn't sane.  wink

fwojciec wrote:

As far as ABS/PKGBUILDs are concerned - they are one of the best, if not the best feature of Arch.  Indeed, they are not complicated, but you need to read the wiki and experiment a bit first before you'll get how they work...  It's definitely worth learning though, IMO, they are a very powerful tool (you can use them to customize packages, like this one, or a kernel for example, build your own packages and so forth).  Anyways, good luck.

Well, I came from Gentoo, and so far, I really like ARCH.  When I get some time in the near future, I'll certainly learn the PKGBUILD.  Thanks for your help!

Board footer