You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-21 15:40:04

paul80

My hifi remote control makes my desktop vanish!

My laptop (Packard Bell w3301), has a infrared sensor on the front. When I press any of the buttons on my remote control for my hifi, my desktop disappears into black, and I'm left with a flashing cursor on the top left, in a terminal style, but I can't write anything. I can press Alt+F7 to get back to my desktop, so it's not the end of the world, but I wondered what was causing this. I haven't installed anything to do with infrared yet, so I don't know where to look, or what to remove.

It would be great to stop this, because at the moment I have to keep some blu-tack over the sensor! Even better would be to be able to use an old TV remote to control MPD and VLC, etc. I guess would use Lirc for that, but I would need to solve this problem first! Hope someone can give some advice, thanks!

Paul

#2 2007-09-21 19:08:49

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: My hifi remote control makes my desktop vanish!

Disable the infrared sensor in the bios of your laptop.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-09-21 19:36:39

MrWeatherbee

Re: My hifi remote control makes my desktop vanish!

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Disable the infrared sensor in the bios of your laptop.

If he does that, he won't be able to do this (or anything similar):

paul80 wrote:

Even better would be to be able to use an old TV remote to control MPD and VLC, etc. I guess would use Lirc for that, but I would need to solve this problem first!

Board footer