You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-26 19:49:04

cjdj

KDE and all the apps that come with it

I have a question about the KDE group (and packages) and pardon me if I demonstrate my lack of understanding.   

I'm fairly new to using linux as a desktop, although I've been using it (and FreeBSD) as server for quite some time.  So I can get around fairly well with command line, and server based stuff.

I tried many distributions but didnt find one that I got attached to, and was about to go thru a Gentoo install when I discovered Arch.  Since then its been fantastic.  On my home lan I've replaced almost all my windows installations with arch and have not had any major issues.

However, looking at the slick way that pacman works, with all the little packages I can choose from and the dependancy chain figured out for me, I was a little dissapointed that KDE comes with a dozen or so packages that contain 100s of apps.   For instance, I am pretty sure I dont need KBabel (a translator), yet I cannot install it thru pacman because it isnt in its own package, it is in kdeaddons.   I REALLY like the idea of having a KDE group that would install everything that it currently does, but why have so many apps inside that group of packages?

I took a little look at the kde website and didnt really see anything in there that indicated that KBabel is part of an actual kdeaddons package there, so I am assuming that the kde maintainer for arch decided that it should be that way.

I dont know any better, so thats why I am asking.   I dont have a need for a fax viewer, a tea cooker, or a moon phase thingo.  but I did like the AMOR to amuse the kids a little. So how can I keep one bit and get rid of the others, without having to dig thru stuff and possibly break the dependancy chain?   

Anyway, not to take away from the effort of those maintaining the packages, because it works quite well and I'm really enjoying my new systems.  Just wanted to ask if there was a specific reason it was done this way.

Kudos.

#2 2004-05-26 21:47:04

skparkes

Re: KDE and all the apps that come with it

Well, as it stands, no you can't just pick individual apps in KDE.  If you really want to pick what you want, you will have to turn to building from source.  You can probably alter kdeaddons in ABS, or just start with Konstruct.

Personally, I understand why they just lump all of kde into 5-10 packages.  It would be a complete headache otherwise.  I've got the hard drive space and I can handle a few unused applications laying around.  Keep up the good work to the new KDE maintainer eh?

Later,

Isamoor

#3 2004-05-26 21:54:05

Zephirias

skparkes wrote:

Well, as it stands, no you can't just pick individual apps in KDE.  If you really want to pick what you want, you will have to turn to building from source.  You can probably alter kdeaddons in ABS, or just start with Konstruct.

Personally, I understand why they just lump all of kde into 5-10 packages.  It would be a complete headache otherwise.  I've got the hard drive space and I can handle a few unused applications laying around.  Keep up the good work to the new KDE maintainer eh?

Later,

Isamoor

That's probably the exact reason. There's probably around 100+ programs (I could be under or over by a lot, it just seems like there are a ton) that come with a fully installed KDE, and if you had to install them all individually, it'd be hell. It's just easier to put them all together into a few packages, because most people'll probably want to use KDE's stuff within the KDE environment, anyway.

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#4 2004-05-27 02:40:20

cjdj

Cool.  Thats the kind of answer I was looking for.

So all those apps are actually part of KDE, rather than just apps that are designed for KDE.  If thats the case then its fine by me.

Board footer