You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-22 18:05:31

Cynical

Strange cosmetic issue before desktop loads (gnome)

I'm running gnome atm and this only started happening recently (either after a package upgrade or some small configuration changes). After I enter my login information in gdm, it disappears like normal and the background color I chose (green) appears, but then the screen changes to black, and my desktop loads normally. I don't use a splash screen, but if enabled it loads afterwards.

The boot time hasn't increased since this has happened, it's just annoying to see my pure green background change to black and then load my green desktop. Especially since I've always had a smooth transition before. Anyone ever experience this or have an idea what app or config file could be responsible for this change?

Here is my xorg.conf, which was generated by the nvidia configuration utility.

http://pastebin.ca/707221

Last edited by Cynical (2007-09-22 18:27:39)

#2 2007-09-22 18:14:56

CocoAUS

Re: Strange cosmetic issue before desktop loads (gnome)

There are two different background color settings.  There's one for the login window (System > Administration > Login Window > Local tab), and one for the desktop background.  My guess is you're seeing the one, then the other.  Might try setting them both to the same color.

#3 2007-09-22 18:26:40

Cynical

Wow you're right. Having two different settings seems very redundant lol. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. The other setting wasn't even set to black. After changing it, I'm still having this issue.

Last edited by Cynical (2007-09-22 18:28:30)

#4 2007-09-22 19:07:50

CocoAUS

Hmmm...what packages did you install, and what configuration changes did you make?  Seems it might be relevant if this only started happening after you made the changes.

#5 2007-09-22 19:33:48

Cynical

Well I did many things, like editing the xorg file, and gdmsetup, but I've looked through all of those and can't find out whats wrong. I installed the drivers for my nvidia card (first from the repo, then from the file on their site just in case), but besides that I haven't installed anything related to it. It definitely feels like an x configuration issue, maybe monitor settings or some obscure file somewhere. I just created a new xorg.conf using hwd and nothing has changed, so I'm really grasping atm. I've never had this problem with gnome on Arch before.

Board footer