You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-23 13:13:20

AdamskiAirsoft

IDE ATA100 Hard drive and current and past compatability

I have gone through 3 hard drives now, trying to install Arch Linux.

I tried twice during .7, and after install I was unable to boot.

I tried once during the "Dont Panic" version, and it booted fine, but I got a kernel panic. I unfortunatly chose to try the IDE-Legacy boot option, as I saw it helped one person with my problem. I should've tried what was suggested by the developers first.

My question is that, all of these hard drives are IDE ATA100, Western Digital. The first one was 40GB, the rest were 80GB, during .7, did Arch Linux use IDELegacy as the default boot option, and has anyone ever had any problems with this?

I honestly don't know if my hard drives are obtainable through formatting them as a slave, as I lost the first hard drive, I physically beat the second hard drive, and I lost the jump to the third hard drive.

#2 2007-09-23 13:39:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: IDE ATA100 Hard drive and current and past compatability

I'm not quite sure from your post if you have a working hard drive now or not, but if you have, I'd suggest you try the install again, and if you still have problems, post here with a complete description of what is (and is not) happening. "I was unable to boot" and "I got a kernel panic" are the result of earlier errors, so you would need to include the relevant error messages exactly as they appear on screen.

#3 2007-09-23 14:08:44

AdamskiAirsoft

There is no error message with booting. I'm simply unable to boot. If I were to power on my computer, I'd see the first screen, and be stuck there.

The kernel panic was a common error found with the "Dont Panic" version, but it's not my main concern, unless I try the install again and the official fix doesn't fix it.

#4 2007-09-23 16:02:33

byte

If your computer won't boot up to the Grub boot menu, it's either a hardware/bios issue or you messed up your bootloader.

#5 2007-09-23 16:28:12

AdamskiAirsoft

byte wrote:

If your computer won't boot up to the Grub boot menu, it's either a hardware/bios issue or you messed up your bootloader.

It's a hard drive/bootloader issue, a new hard drive fixes it.

Board footer