You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-24 10:39:28

mrbug

nvidia overlay black flash problem

I recently put a "new" nvidia 6200 (agp, 256mb, possibly "gt") in my computer. It works great for everything until I try to use something with video overlay (ie- video or 3d game) in fullscreen mode. The screen will shake some and then start intermittently flashing all black.

I've tried both nvidia and nvidia-96xx. I have a widescreen LCD monitor going through a DVI cable.

Do you think it's a hardware or software problem? If it's software, what can I do to fix it? It's really annoying to have to watch stuff in a window...

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.
(Regular version AUR link / SVN version AUR link)

#2 2007-09-24 11:21:36

klixon

Re: nvidia overlay black flash problem

Are you using a composite window manager?
If so, try running X with composite diabled and see if the problem persist...

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2007-09-24 11:36:52

mrbug

I'm running IceWM on X.org 7.2. I'm pretty sure that IceWM is not a compositing window manager, but I do have all of the compositing options enabled in my xorg.conf.

I'll try it again with all of those options stripped out when I get home. I may also try with a different window manager, just in case mine is to blame. There's another bug in it right now, anyway...

I'd switch to dwm if it would run ktorrent.

Oh, the black flash happens with both mplayer (haven't tried gmplayer) and totem. I believe that totem causes the flash even in windowed mode.

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.

#4 2007-09-24 23:47:11

mrbug

I've just checked, and I have a completely clean (ie- no options/extensions) xorg.conf. It acts almost like it's having problems with VSYNC or maybe scene changes somehow. It also blanks the entire screen even when in windowed mode, apparently.

I think that I'm going to try a live cd to see what happens.....

EDIT: I've switched to the nv module (instead of nvidia) and it works perfectly. The problem is in the module support for the nvidia 6200 series... I guess that I'll have to wait until it works better.

Last edited by mrbug (2007-09-25 01:52:54)

Board footer