You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-23 04:07:30

Gullible Jones

You really know Linux is gaining ground...

... When FOX has an article on it. Nice.

[Warning: post links to FOX News website. The poster is NOT responsible for any harm to browser or brain that may result. Caution and common sense are advised.]

#2 2007-09-23 06:21:21

murffatksig

Re: You really know Linux is gaining ground...

Not bad.  I do find it interesting that Fox had a Microsoft ad on the right side of the page.

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#3 2007-09-23 06:36:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Fox!
Quick!
Close the curtains.
I'll get a dog.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2007-09-23 12:00:11

hussam
Website

One thing I don't agree with is this.
"— Installing new programs and hardware drivers can be significantly more difficult than on Windows."
Also, the author does seem to give the impression a bit that he doesn't know much about Linux. But I don't usually mind that unless an author starts making some idiotic or false statements.

I personally found installing programs on windows a lot harder. Setup programs on windows are still from the dark ages. When I left windows, not many programs used .msi packages. Setup.exe programs would install files all over the hard disk with no way to track or query what files are installed. You have to spend a lot of time on the internet looking for free programs for your tasks. And then you have to visit a lot of stores to find someone who sells the software you want. It's really a big pain.
On Linux, it's a lot easier. I just 'pacman -S' the program I want and then come back later to find it installed. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Regarding "Warning: post links to FOX News website.", is Fox News some not so popular new network or something?

Last edited by hussam (2007-09-23 12:05:21)

#5 2007-09-23 12:07:49

byte

Watching FOX in Lebanon would be like watching Al-Arabija in the US. ;-)

#6 2007-09-23 12:49:11

skoal
Website

What's really surprising is that Arch linux made their top 6 list at number 3.

\\//_

#7 2007-09-23 14:35:13

hussam
Website

byte wrote:

Watching FOX in Lebanon would be like watching Al-Arabija in the US. ;-)

We do get a lot of channels here in Lebanon via Satellite. CNN, MTV, BBC, EuroSPORT, ESPN, and a huge number of French, German (I'm a major fan of German football) and Italian cable Channels. But Al-Arabija or FOX aren't among them.

Last edited by hussam (2007-09-23 14:40:13)

#8 2007-09-23 14:38:00

F

cactus wrote:

Fox!
Quick!
Close the curtains.
I'll get a dog.

BAHAHA YOU _CANNOT_ STOP THE INTERNET HATE MACHINE.

#9 2007-09-23 22:21:45

Gullible Jones

hussam wrote:

One thing I don't agree with is this.
"— Installing new programs and hardware drivers can be significantly more difficult than on Windows."
Also, the author does seem to give the impression a bit that he doesn't know much about Linux. But I don't usually mind that unless an author starts making some idiotic or false statements.

I personally found installing programs on windows a lot harder. Setup programs on windows are still from the dark ages. When I left windows, not many programs used .msi packages. Setup.exe programs would install files all over the hard disk with no way to track or query what files are installed. You have to spend a lot of time on the internet looking for free programs for your tasks. And then you have to visit a lot of stores to find someone who sells the software you want. It's really a big pain.
On Linux, it's a lot easier. I just 'pacman -S' the program I want and then come back later to find it installed. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Yeah, installing something with e.g. Synaptic involves less fussing and clicking.

To be fair though, Windows does have package management... There are uninstallers and a control panel to access them from. However, some programs don't come with uninstallers, or the uninstallers are buggy or incomplete. Technically not Microsoft's fault (not directly anyway, having a separate uninstaller is a little stupid), but it's a pain.

Regarding "Warning: post links to FOX News website.", is Fox News some not so popular new network or something?

FOX is massively politicized - all major news sources put a bit of slant on things, of course, but FOX is more in the business of fellating political interests than the business of pushing actual news. It also has a tendency to let a lot of rather dubious stuff through, at least on the website - for instance, an article about some retired radio technician in Florida and his magical cancer-zapping ray, which is probably pure kookery, or maybe a fabrication from some tabloid.

#10 2007-09-23 23:57:56

jacques

Yea, I was surprised seeing Arch up there too...

#11 2007-09-24 00:18:07

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

At the third spot I see Fedora now? roll

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2007-09-24 04:05:47

jb

B wrote:

At the third spot I see Fedora now? roll

ALERT!!
Someone at FOX did not stay the course!  The offending flip-floppers involved will be sent to double-Guantanamo Bay.

#13 2007-09-24 12:29:29

skoal
Website

Am I the only linux user who loves Fox news? Granted, Forrest Gump could beat me at chess, but that's besides the point.

I admit it.  We didn't make number 3.  I was just slinging out some chum from my slop bucket.  My apologies. I just thought we could all use a little more vitamin F in our media diet.  Please be sure to check out the Fox & Friends morning show with Gretchen, Brian, and Steve.  Man, I love those guys.

This message was brought to you by a substantial donation from the Rupert Murdoch foundation.

\\//_

#14 2007-09-24 15:09:28

mezoko
Website

Spam! Spam! Spam!

:---)

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#15 2007-09-24 16:10:19

ozar

skoal wrote:

Am I the only linux user who loves Fox news?

No, you aren't the only one.  Fox is the only news station I'll watch and I don't watch it very much.  I get tired very quickly of the news media telling us all how we should think about the world.  mad  smile

oz

#16 2007-09-25 02:12:20

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

That's cool... I was watching Dotto Tech (a Canadian computer tutorial show) just to laugh at the crap he was telling to Windows users... many of the shows are about M$ office or Norton antivirus and other programs I don't care about.  Then, to my surprise, he went into a discussion just like in that article except he focused on Mepis, not Ubuntu.  He installed Mepis, played with the Gimp, openoffice writer and he told everyone that his printer works with it but he didn't freak anyone out by explaining CUPS and ghostscript to them.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer