You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-24 13:34:13

azerty
Website

Yet Another Tricky Installation

I'm trying to install Archlinux on a JVC subnotebook, which by definition hasn't any CD/DVD/Floppy-Drives.

I already tried out various ways of installing Archlinux:
1.) CD-Install using an USB CD-ROM drive (Fails, BIOS doesn't support USB Boot)
2.) Standard install on an external computer by extracting the HDD out of the subnotebook and connecting it via a 2,5"->3,5" Adapter to my desktop computer (Installation works, but booting fails: Screenshot)

- I have a full dd-Backup of the original Windows-only setup
- HDD partitioned to my taste: 10 GB Win, 10 GB Archlinux, 1 GB Swap, 16 GB free/as from Nov 1.: OpenBSD-4.2
- Windows XP installed, Archlinux installed but booting fails (See 2.))
- GRUB installed and working

There are plenty of possibilities to (re)install Archlinux for sure, so what do you advise me to do?
As I remember, the (very basic) BIOS supports PXE-Boot, but I actually don't know how to use this.

What do you think of formatting the currently unused 16GB partition with a file system, copying/extracting the Archlinux FTP-Install ISO on it. After that I could modify the GRUB-Menu temporarily to boot from the Archlinux FTP-Install ISO to start the installation. Now the install system would boot and I could procede with the installation of Archlinux.

Any opinions? Help is greatly appreciated, so drop me a line. smile

Why are we here? What is the sense of life?
INVITATION TO THE TRUTH

#2 2007-09-25 05:10:27

gradgrind

Re: Yet Another Tricky Installation

Maybe you should try to find out why there is no /dev/sda2 (screenshot), what devices you do have (I think on the command line you get you can type something like 'echo /dev/*'). Could it be that the old ide devs (/dev/hda2) are being used?

And you are booting with the fallback image, aren't you?

Last edited by gradgrind (2007-09-25 09:17:09)

#3 2007-09-25 11:01:46

azerty
Website

gradgrind wrote:

Maybe you should try to find out why there is no /dev/sda2 (screenshot), what devices you do have (I think on the command line you get you can type something like 'echo /dev/*'). Could it be that the old ide devs (/dev/hda2) are being used?

And you are booting with the fallback image, aren't you?

I reinstalled Archlinux using the following method:

What do you think of formatting the currently unused 16GB partition with a file system, copying/extracting the Archlinux FTP-Install ISO on it. After that I could modify the GRUB-Menu temporarily to boot from the Archlinux FTP-Install ISO to start the installation. Now the install system would boot and I could procede with the installation of Archlinux.

So currently I can't say something about this specific booting problem because I set up a new system, which is, also, not working. (See here)

The Notebook actually uses a IDE HDD, yes.
No, I booted with the default image, I also tried fallback image but same problem.

Last edited by azerty (2007-09-25 11:02:11)

INVITATION TO THE TRUTH

#4 2007-09-25 16:11:26

azerty
Website

*Update*
I reinstalled Archlinux the using the same method as with tpowa's ISO files, but this time using the official BASE-CD.

The install procedure went just fine and everything seems to be working now - I didn't encounter any problems.

Only one problem: When booting from the default Archlinux entry in GRUB I get a kernel panic. (Screenshot)
I tried to use the Archlinux fallback image entry in GRUB, and this one works without any problems.

Any idea why booting fails when using the default archlinux entry?

INVITATION TO THE TRUTH

#5 2007-09-25 21:19:47

turing

Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst

Or look at it and search the differences between the normal and the fallback entry.

Board footer