You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-27 09:37:34

pseb

computer automatically starts at midnight

Hi,
I have a strange problem with my computer, don't know, if this is the right place to post it, but since i'm quite new to arch...
well, the problem is, that my computer boots automatically at midnight. i noticed it some time ago, don't know, what lead to this, because my computer is usually still running at midnight...but i'd like to know what's wrong and i don't want to unplug it every night.
i turned off all wake events in bios and unplugged the network cable, but still no change. stupid thing about this is that i have only one try a day to resolve the problem.

there's nothing special about my computer, intel celeron 2 GHz. 512Mb, running an up-to-date arch with kdemod.

maybe someone has an idea?

greets,
sebastian

#2 2007-09-27 09:44:48

daf666
Website

Re: computer automatically starts at midnight

1. Try to reset to BIOS defaults
2. You can have more tries a day if you set the clock yourself wink
3. Try a BIOS update

If that doesnt work try exorcism lol

#3 2007-09-27 09:49:03

chicha

Hello pseb,

There might by several possibilities :

Are you sure you haven't a BIOS setting other than the Wake On LAN features that may start your computer ?
How do you shutdown your computer : real shutdown or suspend to disk or ram ?

#4 2007-09-27 10:15:43

john_schaf

don't feed him after midnight !!!
big_smile

sorry.

#5 2007-09-27 11:18:04

pseb

thanks for your quick replys!

@chicha: yes, i'm sure...i really went through each and every bios option. and i do a real shutdown, no suspend.

@daf666: i will try to reset the bios to default settings. don't want to change the clock now, have to work with the computer and don't want to mess things up. will report tomorrow (or at about 0:01...) ;-)

@john: well, don't know if i had feeded it, but at least it didn't get in contact with water...

#6 2007-09-27 11:34:17

chicha

@pseb :

Something you should try also, because we never know : http://www.archlinux.org/packages/search/?q=chkrootkit
Chkrootkit will scan all your binaries and detect if they were corrupted by a troyan horse or something. A possibility is that you have been hacked, but it is more likely a BIOS work arround imho ...

Of course run this tool using a liveCD you know is not corrupted. Running chkrootkit within your existing installation does not make any sens !

Cheers,
Chicha

Board footer