You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-29 16:47:06

IceHand
Website

Firefox has a weird drawing error

The first image shows the drawing error, the second how the website should look like:
firefox_error.png firefox_noerror.png

As you can see the images show up somewhat strange sometimes. It happens mostly when I scroll. The drawing error goes away when I redraw the screen (e.g. switch to a different workspace and back again), but as soon as I scroll, the error appears again. On some sites it's less visible, but I have this error on every website. This happens with text too, but not quite as often.

I tried Firefox's safe-mode and creating a new profile, but the error still occurred.
Arch is up to date and I'm using Xfce4 (compositing not enabled), Opera does not have this problem.
Any ideas what could be wrong?

#2 2007-09-29 21:30:16

Lone_Wolf

Re: Firefox has a weird drawing error

In the forum post http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217 everything looks normal, but judging by the layout your screenshots are NOT from the forum post ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-09-29 21:51:22

IceHand
Website

No, it's from the news sections (Home), just scroll down a bit and halfway through you'll see the post. Notice however that this error occurs with all the images there, but not always -- and on many other websites too. And as I said, it happens with text too sometimes (on all websites).

#4 2007-09-30 09:02:54

bangkok_manouel

I had some really strange rendering issues with i810 driver with one of my laptops. Using xf86-video-intel instead of xf86-video-i810 solved my problems.

#5 2007-09-30 11:17:10

IceHand
Website

Hm, when I try starting X with the xf86-video-intel driver I get this error:

(II) LoadModule: "intel"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so: undefined symbol: xf86CrtcConfigPrivateIndex
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(EE) Failed to load module "intel" (loader failed, 7)

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Btw, right now I'm using the vesa driver and the error is still occurring ...

Edit: I made some tests and it seems that all gecko based browsers have this problem (I tried Epiphany, Galeon and Kazehakase). All other browsers I tried work fine (Opera, Dillo, Amaya).

I did not have this problem, when I was still using Ubuntu.

Last edited by IceHand (2007-09-30 14:00:01)

#6 2007-09-30 14:23:35

IceHand
Website

Ok, slowly I'm getting to the root of the problem: I just added a new user account and when I'm using it, the problem is gone!
To summarize:
- All gecko based browsers have this problem
- Some config file in my home directory must be causing this (it can't be .mozilla, I already tried that and other gecko browsers have this problem too)

I'll try and delete every config file that I don't really need -- will report later.

EDIT:
Hah! I found out what was causing this: I had had set my dpi to 100 with .Xdefaults (Xft*dpi: 100). On [url=]this Mozilla help page[/url] I read this:

If possible, use a number that is a multiple of 6, or even 12, as numbers that aren't sometimes result in annoying rounding errors that cause adjacent bitmap font sizes to not increment and decrement linearly.

So it looks like Firefox (and every other gecko based browser) has a bug with dpi's that are not a multiple of 6, which causes the problem I described above. My resolution was to set my dpi to 96.

EDIT2:
Hm, the problem still occurs with dpi set to 96, only less frequently. Setting the dpi to 108 seems to fix it (or maybe the error occurs even less frequently), I'll see.

Last edited by IceHand (2007-09-30 16:07:12)

Board footer