You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-30 03:06:41

Trac3R
Website

Replace hal-device-manager with extra/gnome-device-manager?

Because my forum search doesn't give any hits for this, I start a new topic.

For a couple of weeks, pacman askes me the question above. But before I decide to do that, I first want to know: Is there ANY logical reason, why the Hardware Abstraction Layer should be replaced with Gnome-stuff? Is it not being maintained anymore, or what is the matter for that?

HAL is still in extra repo, so if I decide to hold this package, are there any security-issues for me? Will it be maintained and updated in the future? And if this is the case, why would pacman ask me to replace it? I'm confused, please bring some light into this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Trac3R (2007-10-01 14:47:33)

#2 2007-09-30 03:24:58

nesl247
Website

Re: Replace hal-device-manager with extra/gnome-device-manager?

Why would you want to keep hal-device-manager? It's just a gui app. gnome-device-manager is probably just a newer, better, more gnomified version.

#3 2007-09-30 04:02:49

kensai
Website

Well, you just need to see there is no hal-device-manager anymore on repo, it just became deprecated with gnome-device-manager cause there is no use on having 2 apps that do exactly the same. Well, I can be wrong here but that is my point of view. You'll have security issues with an unpatched not upgraded package, although it should be minimal.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#4 2007-10-01 10:09:00

Trac3R
Website

nesl247 wrote:

Why would you want to keep hal-device-manager? It's just a gui app. gnome-device-manager is probably just a newer, better, more gnomified version.

I don't know what should be better in a more gnomified version. I hope this will not cause more dependencies in  the future. But this does also not answer my question, why this has happened. It's not just versionitis or is it? Because it's not just newer or maybe better, it's different, too.

kensai wrote:

Well, you just need to see there is no hal-device-manager anymore on repo

I see. I mixed up HAL with hal-device-manager. So one is forced to replace hal-device-manager... Ok.

Last edited by Trac3R (2007-10-01 10:50:11)

Board footer