You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-02 00:17:44

jordanmthomas

[SOLVED] smbmount invalid share name

Hello, I am having some troubles with smbmount.

I can connect to my share fine in nautilus or konqueror, but I'd like to mount it somewhere.

Server/share:   //zeus.pclab.tntech.edu/users/jmthomas21
My username:  pclab\jmthomas21 (May be what's giving me trouble)

So, if I go to smb://zeus.pclab.tntech.edu/users/jmthomas21 in either of the two aforementioned file managers, it asks for my username and password.  I put it in and I can browse no problem.

Great!  So, I figure I'll just mount it somewhere so I can get to it quickly later.  I fire up my trusty terminal and make a directory called pclab

mkdir pclab

Now, I try to use smbmount to mount the share:

sudo smbmount //zeus.pclab.tntech.edu/users/jmthomas21 pclab -o username=pclab\\jmthomas21,password=$MYPASS

and I get this:

15854: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name)

I don't understand what's wrong.  I have copied and pasted the share name that works in nautilus, so I am pretty sure it's a valid share name.
Maybe someone can see something I've done wrong?

Last edited by jordanmthomas (2007-10-03 03:30:39)

#2 2007-10-02 14:32:33

dschrute

Re: [SOLVED] smbmount invalid share name

//zeus.pclab.tntech.edu/users is the folder that is actually shared, yes ?
I don't think smbmount can directly mount subfolders of shares.  nautilus probably does some magic, so that you only see the jmthomas21 folder, rather than all the folders under the share.  This is similar to behavior in ( I think ) win2k and nwer, whereas WinNT and older could only map to the share itself, and not a folder below.

I would try adding the "-t cifs" option to smbmount so it uses the newer options.  Then look at "mount --bind..."

Some examples here :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470171
and here :
http://www.nabble.com/can-smbmount-acce … 30034.html

#3 2007-10-02 15:08:34

tam1138

I'm in the habit of using forward slashes for samba shares, and doubling them to account for escaping.  Does this command work?

sudo smbmount \\\\zeus.pclab.tntech.edu\\users\\jmthomas21 pclab -o username=pclab\\jmthomas21,password=$MYPASS

It's possible that nautilus does some magic behind the scenes that translates the paths from what you see to a different, more smbmount-friendly format.

#4 2007-10-02 17:57:36

jordanmthomas

dschrute, I think that's exactly what I was looking for.  I have class in like 5 minutes so I'll give it a try later.
tam1138:  your suggestion results in the same error (which is good since it's essentially the same thing I typed earlier smile )

Thanks to both of you.

Last edited by jordanmthomas (2007-10-02 17:57:49)

#5 2007-10-02 19:29:35

jordanmthomas

It worked!  Thanks a bunch.
For anyone else who comes across this here's what I ended up doing.

mkdir /tmp/foo
mount -t cifs //zeus.pclab.tntech.edu/users /tmp/foo -o username=jmthomas21,password=$something
mount --bind /tmp/foo/jmthomas21 pclab
umount /tmp/foo

...seems a little weird that I had to do it that way though.

Last edited by jordanmthomas (2007-10-02 19:34:57)

Board footer