You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-25 03:30:04

lavs23

Audacity (can't export files or use effects)

I've been trying to make a Rifftrax in linux and I've been struggling with Audacity all day, trying to get it to work properly.  I currently have audacity installed from the repo (1.3.3).  When I edit files the option to export, export selection, and all effects are grayed out.  I tried to install the cvs from AUR and that helped some, I could use effects but I still couldn't export.  I tried to install audacity from source downloaded from sourceforge but I get an error about not being able to find wxwidgets, even though it's installed from the repo and I'm not sure how to edit the configure file to point to wxwidgets that's installed through the repo.

I'm looking to do three things currently:
mute a section of a single channel
amplify a single channel
export the final cut as wav

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2007-08-25 05:02:04

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Audacity (can't export files or use effects)

Took a look at audacity to determine the procedure which allows effects to be highlighted.

There must be a selection of the audio portion to be modified from the audio file entered into audacity.  This selection will automatically enable the effects.

Give it a try........

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2007-08-25 08:43:23

senjin
Website

1. to mute a section I would use "envelope tool" (one of icons)
2. you have volume slider at the left side of each channel. Also there is amplify effect - to use it you must first select whole channel.
3. as lilsirecho wrote: first you select part you want to export and then export selection options is available.

#4 2007-08-25 12:49:15

lavs23

Tried all of that and it doesn't do anything, it doesn't matter what part of the audio I select I can't use the effects.  I've used audacity before in Kubuntu, PCLOS, Sabayon, Windows XP but it's not working in Arch.

#5 2007-10-04 01:23:15

PeteMo
Website

I'm having the same problem as described by lavs23.  I installed audacity today, from extra, version 1.3.3-1.  Has anyone else seen this or have a solution?  I can't even select "Edit -> Preferences".

EDIT: Well, I resolved the problem by quitting and restarting audacity.  Strange.  Anyway, I'll leave this here in case someone else runs into the problem.

Last edited by PeteMo (2007-10-04 01:43:36)

Board footer