You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-05 13:28:53

gejr

Custom kernel compilation..a rant with a couple of questions:)

Can anyone explain the relation of "vmlinuz", "System.map" and "kconfig"?

I'm struggling with compiling my first kernel from source. I try not to use a initrd as I should be able to boot without it. After a lot of compiling I've finally found the modules I need to get the kernel to find the harddrive. (although I for some reason need to change all references to sdaX in /etc/fstab to hdaX, but that's a minor issue).

The wiki page tells me to cp these files from /usr/src/linux-x.y.z/... to /boot...but it tells me I can name them whatever I want.

I really don't get this..what does the two latter files do ("System.map" and "kconfig")? and how do vmlinuz know about them? I understand it as if i can name them whatever I want as long as I put them in /boot. Are they neccessary for a working kernel?

I want rc.conf to load the modules I need for wifi, sound, graphics etc.

Any input appreciated!

Last edited by gejr (2007-10-05 13:58:41)

#2 2007-10-05 13:33:17

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Custom kernel compilation..a rant with a couple of questions:)

vmlinuz is your actual kernel.  kconfig is the configuration options that were used to build the kernel - afaik the kernel itself doesn't need it, but it's really handy to have around to see how your kernel was built.

I forget what System.map is, though.

#3 2007-10-05 14:18:21

fwojciec

Re: Custom kernel compilation..a rant with a couple of questions:)

I much prefer using the PKGBUILD method.  Just use the standard kernel26 PKGBUILD from ABS, copy it to somewhere in your home directory, you can customize kernel name using Kano's script from post 9 in this thread (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=34815), then makepkg, configure the kernel, and install the package when it's build.

Board footer