You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-16 20:54:09

Lone_Wolf

libojc missing after split of gcc [SOLVED]

All libojc*  files in /usr/lib that were in gcc 4.2.1-3.1 are missing from the new gcc package.
They are also not present in the gcc-base package.

Subbitted to flyspray : FS#8032

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-09-18 12:56:32)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#2 2007-09-16 21:00:46

fwojciec

Re: libojc missing after split of gcc [SOLVED]

I think I just had medit complain about something like that, but I just rebuilt it from source using abs and it works fine now.

#3 2007-09-17 00:12:56

dunc

Hah! I should have checked here first. I've just spent half an hour trying to figure out where libobjc went after medit complained.

I don't mind rebuilding it from ABS, but it makes me wonder what else is broken by this. I'm tempted just to grab a copy of the library from an old installation. Has libobjc been removed upstream? It seems unlikely.

0 Ok, 0:1

#4 2007-09-17 07:47:56

Lone_Wolf

Nope, it was not an upstream change .

It was decided by arch developers to split gcc and have the 2 main packages gcc and gcc-libs only support C and C++ .
There already were gcc-fortran and gcc-gcj (java) packages, now it looks like we'll have gcc-objc , gcc-mono and possibly more soon.

I solved the problem temporarily by forcing a downgrade to gcc 4.2.1-3.1.
(apart from th enew gcc 5 packages have gcc-libs as dependeny, so removing was not possible as i don't have all those 5 packages in cache)

see dev-public for some more details.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2007-09-17 08:28:47

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dunc wrote:

Hah! I should have checked here first. I've just spent half an hour trying to figure out where libobjc went after medit complained.

I don't mind rebuilding it from ABS, but it makes me wonder what else is broken by this. I'm tempted just to grab a copy of the library from an old installation. Has libobjc been removed upstream? It seems unlikely.

Is it in gcc-objc?

#6 2007-09-17 09:13:54

Lone_Wolf

iphitus wrote:
dunc wrote:

Is it in gcc-objc?

That package doesn't exist yet, but JGC mentioned in the bug report that it will be in [extra] repo soon.

#7 2007-09-18 07:41:17

brain0
Developer

It does now.

#8 2007-09-18 12:57:21

Lone_Wolf

Indeed , and after installing gcc-objc everything that uses objc works again.

Added to to-do list : check my aur packages for gcc dependencies and correct them.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-09-18 12:58:13)

#9 2007-09-28 21:34:40

crocus

Yes, the librarries are there, but I cannot compile an objc code now!? It says:
"Objective-C compiler not installed on this system"
"gcc: exit status 1"

Does anyone has the same problem?

#10 2007-10-07 12:45:38

anykey

also, the garbage collection option will cause the current pkgbuild (as of today) to fail to build gcc (--enable-objc-gc); this is not much to take, but with normal packages, gcc does not compile objective-c sources (as crocus pointed out).

this is much trouble to me as I write objective-c code for work right now; so I guess I will resort to rebuild gcc, and place it in IgnorePkg, hoping the packages will get fixed sometime.

please correct me if I am wrong:
as one needs the gcc binary to compile objc code be enabled to do so, and objc does not have an "own" compiler like c++ does with g++, it might be difficult to just do an additional package for objc.

Would it mean harm to provide a gcc-full package with *everything* enabled [the package would be meant to coexist with, not replace the current ones] (yes, even fortran) instead of modularizing it? If this is a dumb question, please correct me.

Last edited by anykey (2007-10-07 13:19:59)

Board footer