You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-09 08:45:07

elb
Website

Query packages repositories via the website

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I didn't find it here : in the past there was a way to query the packages repositories via the website to find packages owning a file, by entering in the "keywords" field a query "à la vi" such as :
/parser.h

This does not work anymore. Is there another way to find a package (not already installed on the system) which owns a certain file ?

#2 2007-10-10 09:52:36

elb
Website

Re: Query packages repositories via the website

To be precise, I want to find which package (in the arch repositories, not within the packages installed on my system) owns this file :
gnome-xml/parser.h

I need to find and install that package in order to build another package. The error message I get is :
keytext.c:40:30: error: gnome-xml/parser.h: No such file or directory

Is there a generic way to find which package owns a file ?

#3 2007-10-10 12:21:04

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: Query packages repositories via the website

See bug http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/4824

phrakture wrote:

Yeah, the DBs increase *significantly* with files added to them. The best idea so far is Roman's, but it still seems odd, we'd need some form of -Sy for a secondary DB download as well, which would make it a fairly complex operation - either that, or make huge DBs.

I don't know of a really clean way to implement this... if anyone can give me a good idea that is simplistic in nature, I will implement it, but at this moment it seems as though all of these ideas are not that great.

So propose a really clean way to implement it, and do it, and there are chances it'll make it into pacman.

I would be very grateful if you did this, that's the only feature pacman is really lacking in my opinion.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer