You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-11 14:48:05

pooflinger

[suggestion] "Mark all topics as read" -> "Mark listed topics as read"

I spend a lot of time browsing the forums, and I've come to use the "Show new posts since last visit" function to keep up with discussions. This function works best for me when combined with the "Mark all topics as read" function. To see what threads had activity since my last check, I "Show new posts...", proceed to reading the interesting ones, and finally "Mark all topics as read". The amount of unread posts, of course, is proportional to how long since my last visit, and so it takes some time for me to catch up after some absence.

Problem: During the time I spend reading new stuff there are often now posts added, so clicking "Mark all..." isn't really what I want to do.

So naturally I "Show new..." again to be sure. This works, but there is always a slight possibility that one gets added during the .5 secs it takes for me to click both links. Call me obsessive-compulsive, but it would feel good to be able to be certain.

Does anyone recognize this rationale? Are there existing solutions to this, maybe a non-web frontend or some forum feature I'm unaware of? Anyhow, if "Mark all topics as read" were replaced by "Mark listed topics as read" in the "Show new posts since last visit" view, there would be no uncertainty.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by pooflinger (2007-10-12 06:14:26)

Board footer