You are not logged in.

#176 2007-10-13 17:53:54

foxbunny
Website

Re: Arch Linux logo concept

Maybe you could make the "archlinux" fit below the "A"? Looks great, though.

#177 2007-10-13 18:24:39

kakabaratruskia

I think thayer's logo is the best!. I would really love if it replaced the current logo. Anyway, I liked better the version without the right foot.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#178 2007-10-13 18:35:23

gummibaerchen

kakabaratruskia wrote:

I think thayer's logo is the best!. I would really love if it replaced the current logo. Anyway, I liked better the version without the right foot.

yeah, I liked that most of all of them because of the simplicity..

allthough I get used to the foot as I see it more and more often in this thread..

#179 2007-10-13 18:44:56

fancris3

#180 2007-10-14 09:50:10

foxbunny
Website

Almost there... just kiddin. A-style has nothing to do with Thayer's Arch logo. smile

#181 2007-10-14 10:38:32

iphitus
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

Almost there... just kiddin. A-style has nothing to do with Thayer's Arch logo. smile

I like this one, http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/806/archneu3vd3.jpg, but would you be able to do it in a darker shade of blue? that blue and surrounding colours reminds me instantly of KDE/Crystal.

Thayer.W: I think your logo really misses the point, and effectively eliminates an important visual component of the Arch logo, the arch itself, the blue curve with the arrow is too subtle, and the arrow takes any focus from the curve. You're destroying any recognisabilty, and making a pretty generic logo that doesnt relate to Arch.

I think the current logo is great, but it could do with a 'clean up' and a proper set of logos for different situations. The tidied version a few pages back was good.

James

Last edited by iphitus (2007-10-14 10:40:12)

#182 2007-10-14 11:24:51

foxbunny
Website

iphitus, you are just half a step ahead of me. I was uploading the darker version as you were posting your suggestion. smile

This time, I created 4 versions of the logo, to show how a graphically complex design can be degraded without sacrificing its recognizability (is that the right term?). I will do the scale-downs as time permits. wink

archneu4kb6.th.jpg

I don't know if you can see it, but the shape is tweaked a bit as well. The new version (4) is also a bit 'slimmer' than before, and rotated a bit to make it more stable when used without text.

I'm not really familiar with the Tango style, but here's my attempt at Tangoizing my logo:

See reply #185 below. Removed the poorly Tangoized version.

CD design:

archneu4cdeg8.th.jpg

Does someone have an Inkscape template for CDs? tongue

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-14 16:24:48)

#183 2007-10-14 15:57:37

pressh
Developer/TU

Great icons foxbunny, though I don't really like the tangoized ones

#184 2007-10-14 15:58:07

thayer
Fellow
Website

iphitus, I appreciate both your remarks and your honesty. May I ask whether you like the fact that the existing logo bears such resemblance to Star Trek?  Because to me and many others, that's about the only recognisability that Arch has right now... Star Trek.

logo_hd3.gif
gold_starfleet.png
Commcolo.gif
purple_starfleet.png
smallemblem.gif
startrekbutton1.gif
animgoldlogo.gif

Seeing that you are both a dev and a long-time archer, perhaps you can point me to a thread or link that explains the origin of the "Arch Linux" name and its meaning.  I've been looking all over for some sort of explanation.

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-14 16:58:36)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#185 2007-10-14 16:23:20

foxbunny
Website

Here's the properly tangoized version.

archneu4tangosp0.th.jpg

Thayer, and others who think Arch logo can be mistaken for the Star Trek... well, two things:

1. Arch logo is NOT NEARLY SIMILAR to that logo. No way, no how. At least for me. I've watched Star Trek, never even noticed THEY HAD a logo in the first place. smile Always liked the Enterprise, tho. tongue

2. Are you even aware of how many geeks out there LOVE Star Treck? big_smile

Anyway, nope, I don't think they are similar, let alone the same thing.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-14 16:26:46)

#186 2007-10-14 16:36:45

thayer
Fellow
Website

1. Arch logo is NOT NEARLY SIMILAR to that logo. No way, no how. At least for me. I've watched Star Trek, never even noticed THEY HAD a logo in the first place. smile Always like the Enterprise, tho. tongue

It's the first thing I, and many many others thought when we first saw the Arch logo... I'd love to see the results of a poll.

2. Are you even aware of how many geeks out there LOVE Star Treck? big_smile

I'm very aware of that, as I've pointed out before. It's an almost instantly recognizable icon in Comp-Sci subculture that ranks higher than Transcendental Bob and the BOFH. Isn't it important that Arch has its own style, its own recognition?

I'm all for an "arch" style logo (I was trying to do that with my original "boomerang" design), but I think it should deviate from the trekiness of the current one.  The "alpha" series logo is my personal favourite among the logos I have come up with, but it's by no means definitive. I'd love to see more concepts presented by other artists.  For example, dunc's looks good too (I've added the karat typeface for consistency):

dunc.png

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-14 16:39:25)

#187 2007-10-14 16:50:59

[vEX]

A bit off topic, in what package does one find the karat typeface?

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64
Server: Raspberry Pi (model B) | 512MB RAM | 750GB HDD | Arch Linux ARM

#188 2007-10-14 16:57:26

thayer
Fellow
Website

AFAIK, it's a commercial font not available in the repos.  You can download the shareware version which doesn't include the bold characters that "arch" uses.  The easiest way to work with graphics though is to grab an SVG file of one of the arch logos.  With it you can recreate the "archlinux" text where ever you like.

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-14 16:58:00)

#189 2007-10-14 17:10:10

stonecrest

I forget who originally said it, but I echo the comments that simplicity of colors is nice (e.g. lack of gradients). I like the bottom-left icon of foxbunny's the best of the bunch, although I'd probably go with the text in black -- blue don't have the correct "weight" imo.

I am a gated community.

#190 2007-10-14 18:04:48

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

thayer.w wrote:

May I ask whether you like the fact that the existing logo bears such resemblance to Star Trek?  Because to me and many others, that's about the only recognisability that Arch has right now... Star Trek.

You seem really stuck on this point.  I don't personally CARE that it resembles Star Trek, and to me, the Arch logo is recognizable as the Arch logo, and as far as Star Trek being the "only" recognizability, well, I haven't seen anyone aside from you make that claim.

#191 2007-10-14 18:33:39

thayer
Fellow
Website

Sorry Cerebral, I don't mean to sound like a broken record. I think I've said enough on the matter and I'll leave it at that.  I really am glad that you and some of the other dev's are at least open to the idea of a revision of the current logo and I don't want to sour the issue. I do think that foxbunny's concepts are the best variations of the original logo and if a complete departure from the status quo is out of the question, then I hope his work is considered for official use.

#192 2007-10-14 19:14:26

gummibaerchen

foxbunny wrote:

Here's the properly tangoized version.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7986 … sp0.th.jpg

Is that really 100% Tango? The light blue inline "shadow" looks a little bit strange to me.

Anyway, I like the non-Tango version of that logo very much and would like to see some more tango'ish looking version wink *confuse*

#193 2007-10-14 19:21:44

louipc

Yep the Archlinux logo looks way too similar to Star Trek to the point that a few people think it is.
I have a shirt and a mug and people say "Is that a Star Trek mug?"
Then there's commentary on how it looks like it was ripped off of Star Trek.
Honestly Star Trek is far too ingrained in popular culture for the Archlinux logo to get any slack.
It needs to be changed, but it still needs to have an arch in it if you ask me.

#194 2007-10-14 19:46:37

xsdnyd

my opinion:
the best logo suggested so far is thayer.w's avatar wink

We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

#195 2007-10-14 20:15:41

foxbunny
Website

The only reason I haven't commented on Thayer's logo yet is... well, as someone has already said before, it is NOT the Arch logo. Not yet, at least, and not similar to the existing one. Imagine you look at the distrowatch page, and encounter that logo. You'd have to think at least three times before you conclude it is indeed Arch. I've known Arch for more than a year now, and it would be difficult to perceive anything but the current logo (or a similar looking one) as the Arch logo.

Sure, it would be perfectly okay if the current debate was divided between long-time Archers and new Arch users, and it is perfectly reasonable that the more newbies come to Arch. the more they'll want to change it. That's how open-source communities work anyway (except when they have corporate backing), but I'd hate to see the current logo gone. Would hate to see the old ways die, simply for the fact that Arch doesn't compare well enough to other distros.

I said before I'd do some research in order to establish the Arch personality. But I've changed my mind. Why? Because everything Arch IS about is in the wiki. Read through this, and you will have plenty of material to create a great Arch logo:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchLinux
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_vs_Others

There is no need to go beyond these. Arch is Arch. It's not an yet-another-enterprise linux, it's not a yet-another-customizable-distro, it's not a what-have-ya. It's unique in many ways, and IMNSHO, waaay better than many.

In fact, if someone said "oh, Arch. That's the Star Trek distro", that'd be perfectly fine by me. Of course, those that don't use Linux couldn't count less in this debate, you have to agree. Ah, and I don't care if some suits say "This suck, I'll use SLED", or "RHEL has nice videos". Sure, go ahead, use whatever you want. tongue

@gummibaerchen

Um, I'm not really sure it's 100% Tango. It's about 80% for sure. smile I havent had time to properly study the Tango style. Anyway, the Tango'd version is just a Tango port, and the main logo is still the one among the four I presented before (the one used in the last CD design as well).

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-14 21:37:04)

#196 2007-10-14 20:28:50

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Hmm, how about a logo with compasses (with the A shape) inside a circle? I have it in my mind, but I have no time for drawing it right now, I will be back tongue
Anyway, I think it renders the idea of "simple and techy" perfectly...

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#197 2007-10-14 20:58:56

foxbunny
Website

Yeah right. So people will think that Archers are nothing but a bunch of punk-listening boots-wearing guitar-playing anarchists (no offense intended to any of the mentioned groups separately). tongue

Just kidding, man. Go ahead. Just don't make the A stick out of the circle, or you'll end up with the dreaded Star Treck logo. big_smile

Okay, so I got the black letters for the guy that requested:

archneu4qu2.th.jpg

I like it better this way myself.

The rest of you guys. Please don't confuse the 4 variants here. Those are all the same thing, just with simulated technical limitation. From top to bottom and left to right:

1. full detailed version (made to be in accord with the KDE 4 Crystal theme as much as I felt inspired)
2. simplified version in full color
3. flat looking 2 color version
4. single color version with the text in black by mistake (should have been all black) for faxing, etc.

Also, the Tango'd version is merely a port, and not a logo in itself. It is meant to be used only in Tango'd environment. (Of course, if devs would use it on the website, than it wouldn't be merely a port, which I'd hate, since it doesn't look that good to me personally.)

Signature bar:

archneu4signature01xb3.png

As a minor contrib to the Arch community, I will customize (will change the logo on demand smile) and personalize this signature bar for first... let's say 20 persons who send me an e-mail. (keep in mind that img tags are disabled on this forum, though), once it is finalized. big_smile Of course, IF more ppl request it, I will certainly try to accomodate them as well.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-14 21:13:57)

#198 2007-10-14 21:06:46

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

foxbunny wrote:

Yeah right. So people will think that Archers are nothing but a bunch of punk-listening boots-wearing guitar-playing anarchists (no offense intended to any of the mentioned groups separately). tongue

Just kidding, man. Go ahead. Just don't make the A stick out of the circle, or you'll end up with the dreaded Star Treck logo. big_smile

LOL! No no no! I said the compasses *inside* the circle and not vice versa! big_smile I was thinking more in terms of Da Vinci's "L'uomo vitruviano"(don't know how to translate that tongue) , you know, where evertything comes to its proper place...

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#199 2007-10-14 21:15:04

foxbunny
Website

Man, that could be interesting. I think it's called the Universal Man, or something like that.

#200 2007-10-14 21:53:23

ProzacR

Ahh sexy signature bar. smile
There is users of it already:
http://www.diskusijos.lt/viewtopic.php?t=27343&start=15

Board footer