You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-31 01:24:08

schome1

custom kernel dependency errors

I followed the wiki for getting rid of devfs.  All went well, except that my only hard drive has been assigned hdb.  When I got to rebuilding the kernel so devfs was not included in it, I chose to use the ABS way.  Again, all went well until I ran

pacman -U kernel26-custom-2.6.6-1.pkg.tar.gz

I got a couple of hundred dependency errors for files (they all ended with file_in_question: exists in file system.  I even tried pacman -A on the new custom kernel with the same errors.

What do I have to do to get my new kernel installed via pacman?

#2 2004-05-31 02:27:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: custom kernel dependency errors

Oh dear, I never thought of this with the custom kernel setup...

Basically, if you have the stock kernel set up, its probably going to try to have to overwrite the old modules. Can somebody tell me how you can change the name of the modules dir so the kernel can still find it? I'll update the ABS packagebuild.

In the meantime, you can try either:

removing the stock kernel (dangerous because if you can't boot with you're custom kernel...)

pacman -R kernel26

using

pacman -Uf

to overwrite the stock module files with your custom ones. This *may* break the stock kernel (ie: WARNING) anyway, but its a lot less likely to do so than removing the stock one. :-D

Do you think you could e-mail me a copy of the conflicting file list you're getting with pacman -U? I want to double check that its only module files.

dusty@archlinux.org

Dusty

#3 2004-05-31 03:02:03

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's the EXTRAVERSION option in the root Makefile.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-05-31 03:57:32

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

*bows*

I like you Xentac, you know everything.  Except web stuff... smile

#5 2004-05-31 07:24:55

schome1

Thanks for the help, using...

pacman -Uf kernel26-custom-2.6.6-1.pkg.tar.gz

...worked.  After I added this kernel to menu.lst, I rebooted and the system came back with no problems (that I noticed).

There were two things (not necessarily problems) that I did notice though.  One is that my hard drive is listed on device /dev/hdb (I only have one hard drive - shouldn't it be /dev/hda? - This question is already listed in another post).  The second is that when I plug in a USB flash drive, a message appears saying

sda: assuming drive cache: write through

Then I hit Ctrl^C to get a prompt, then I typed

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb0

and my USB flash drive was mounted.  What was the message I got that automatically appeared when I plugged in the device?

Thanks for the help with installing the custom kernel!

#6 2004-05-31 08:51:45

kpiche
Forum Fellow
Website

Odd.  Perhaps your drive is the slave while the cdrom is the master?  Check "dmesg | grep hd".

#7 2004-05-31 12:16:19

schome1

dmesg | grep hd
SCSI device sda: 125952 512-byte hdwr sectors (64 MB)

This is my 64 MB USB flash drive.  I have one 30 gb hard drive (master) and one CD-ROM drive (Master on the secondary IDE port).  I don't know why they aren't showing up.

#8 2004-06-02 02:35:13

schome1

yep, my drive was the slave (cable select on the middle connector).  Problem solved - thanks.  I actually misread the suggestion that the hd was the slave and ended up spending many hours troubleshooting this one.  Came up with the solution on my own, then read this post again  roll

Board footer