You are not logged in.

#51 2007-07-07 21:23:00

Gullible Jones

Re: Proposal for a new archlinux logo

I don't really care much about the logo, but I think freigeist's one would look better on my desktop, so... I guess I'll throw in my vote for it.

(As it happens, I like the font that it currently uses better than Karat... At any rate, it would be good to use one that was free.)

#52 2007-07-08 00:03:37

thayer
Fellow
Website

I've released the SVG source files for my Arch logo... more details can be found at the new thread:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=34948

@Misfit138: I agree with you for the most part, however I think that the Chevy logo converts extremely well to a 1-colour image.  Whereas the existing Arch logo loses a lot of it's definition when converted to solid black, white, etc... but that's just my opinion.

For me, the worst aspect of the existing logo is its incredible likeness to the Star Trek logo.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#53 2007-07-11 08:18:29

pecan

I think the ones in the original post look incredibly professional and quite stylish as well.

#54 2007-10-10 19:03:49

burra

Hi,
tried to make a basic shape. All are free to use it and alter it how they want.

Burra smile

arch1.png
arch2.png

http://archbox.dyndns.org/pic/arch1.svg
http://archbox.dyndns.org/pic/arch2.svg

#55 2007-10-10 19:50:27

dunc

Okay then, since everyone else is having a go, and inspiration finally struck, here's my attempt:
newarch1.png
The curve is obviously half an arch shape, but it also resembles the back of a lower-case "a", and, combined with the arrowhead formed by the area above it (coloured sky blue to enhance the impression of an arch), a bow.

I'm not very happy about the way the text fits (or rather, doesn't), though. I prefer this:
newarch2.png
... but the "linux" virtually disappears at smaller sizes.

Constructive criticism / alterations welcome.

I've nothing against the current font, by the way; I just don't have it here.

0 Ok, 0:1

#56 2007-10-11 01:59:27

thayer
Fellow
Website

dunc, nice job... I really like the concept, but I do agree about the font (or maybe just the font spacing) needing some tweaks.  It's simple, has an easily visible meaning and its clean. Very nice! I'm surprised nobody else has commented.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#57 2007-10-11 02:23:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dunc: not sure I like it as a logo, but that's a top-notch PC sticker!

Dusty

#58 2007-10-11 02:36:00

rson451
Website

Dusty wrote:

dunc: not sure I like it as a logo, but that's a top-notch PC sticker!

Dusty

my exact thought when i saw it. the shape alone just screams 'print me on aluminum and slap me on a laptop' to me. in a good way smile

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#59 2007-10-11 17:13:24

peart

I really like Dunc's logo: it's simple, elegant, and lightweight.  It has an arch, and an arrow.  You'd swear it was made for Arch.  If anybody makes little stickers out of it, I'll slap one on my laptop in a NY minute.

I wouldn't mind seeing a version with the Karat font face, too.

Ciao,
me

#60 2007-10-12 23:21:17

Cogar

I am glad that this thread was bumped. I like both freigeist's and dunc's proposals very much. I do not see why we have to stay focused on the letter "A" and think focus on the arch shape makes more sense. As a quick example, Red Hat doesn't focus on "R" or "H," Suse doesn't focus on "S," and Ubuntu doesn't focus on "U." Actually, I think very few corporate logos focus on the letters in the name. (My two cents . . . er, three cents.)

#61 2007-10-13 03:43:34

F

I like the Original Poster's logo the best, even over the other thread's logos.

I don't like the boomerang logos.

That is all.

Also, please keep the current colorscheme, any other colors would seem too foreign.

#62 2007-10-13 05:52:00

peets
Website

dunc: very good work. This fits almost all the points raised today over in thayer's logo thread. I would replace the font with the current one, and use different colours (maybe the current ones?). Also, if it hadn't been mentioned, I never would have guessed that the upper right corner was an arrow. Maybe it can be reshaped a bit so this is more obvious; I think the square outline in the logo is not necessary anyway.

Your logo is great. It's recognizable. It's happy. It scales. It's simple. It works in any number of colours. Wow.

-ppp-

#63 2007-10-13 19:16:37

dunc

peets wrote:

dunc: very good work. This fits almost all the points raised today over in thayer's logo thread.

I thought so. smile I was aware of them anyway; although I'm not a professional, I've always had an interest in graphic design.

I would replace the font with the current one, and use different colours (maybe the current ones?).

As I said, I've no real preference for the font. I'm not particularly happy with the one I used - it was the best of those I tried - and I don't have the official one.

Also, if it hadn't been mentioned, I never would have guessed that the upper right corner was an arrow. Maybe it can be reshaped a bit so this is more obvious; I think the square outline in the logo is not necessary anyway.

To be honest, it's a bit of a happy accident. While I was playing around with ideas, I put the half-arch in a square and immediately thought, "Hey, I've got an arrowhead shape now - that's handy!" Personally, I wouldn't be keen on over-emphasising it by messing with the square profile; it might ruin the simplicity. The arrow isn't an especially important part of "Arch Linux"; if people notice it, all well and good. If they don't, it's still a recognisable logo.

Your logo is great. It's recognizable. It's happy. It scales. It's simple. It works in any number of colours. Wow.

Thanks. smile The colours aren't too important either. As I said, I like the sky blue above the arch to emphasise that that's what it is, but it doesn't really matter.

#64 2007-10-14 17:26:31

pirx

I like dunc's logo best smile

#65 2007-10-14 17:58:30

Mardukas
Banned

11008.png
I like this one tongue

#66 2007-10-16 19:11:45

floke

Dunc.
Fantastic.

#67 2007-10-16 19:18:24

freigeist

dunc wrote:

Okay then, since everyone else is having a go, and inspiration finally struck, here's my attempt:
http://www.dss.talktalk.net/newarch1.png
The curve is obviously half an arch shape, but it also resembles the back of a lower-case "a", and, combined with the arrowhead formed by the area above it (coloured sky blue to enhance the impression of an arch), a bow.

I'm not very happy about the way the text fits (or rather, doesn't), though. I prefer this:
http://www.dss.talktalk.net/newarch2.png
... but the "linux" virtually disappears at smaller sizes.

Constructive criticism / alterations welcome.

I've nothing against the current font, by the way; I just don't have it here.

Hey...this logo has some potential too...great work!

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#68 2007-10-17 00:01:20

dunc

Thanks to everyone who liked mine. There's a new version up on the new submissions thread.

Board footer