You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-09 16:56:52

JGC
Developer

Ximian openoffice

After a few days of fiddling around with normal openoffice, I decided to go for the ooo-build system to get a ximian openoffice. The normal openoffice won't build on archlinux because gcc is "too new". The source is very buggy, so I think Ximian's ooo-build system is the way to go for next packages.

The packages are located at ftp://schoolbak.dyndns.org/ooo

libgnomecups is a dependency which was taken from incoming.

Please try these packages and post your comments.

To get a localized version, just start using "LANG=nl_NL /opt/openoffice/bin/oowriter" to get a dutch openoffice.org writer. Same applies to most other languages.

#2 2004-05-10 14:34:34

Moo-Crumpus

Re: Ximian openoffice

What to do with it? You wrote a PKGBUILD? What exactly have I to do to get a german version, what do you mean by "just start usung ..."?

big_smile

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2004-05-10 16:09:54

tpowa
Developer

i think a LANG=de_DE in /etc/profiles should do the trick
as it is needed for a german gimp too

i didn't try the package but i will till the weekend

one question:
is in ximian the nwf (new widget framework) included?
it can be found under:
http://kde.openoffice.org
would be nice if it would work and included till i download the package on friday

#4 2004-05-10 16:13:37

JGC
Developer

This package is with Ximian framework and ximian iconset, no KDE stuff. You can change the PKGBUILD and wait for 5 hours to get KDE framework, but I don't know if that will work.

I will provide a new package tomorrow with updated .install file, since it has a little problem.

#5 2004-05-10 16:21:14

tpowa
Developer

for kde integration
for all that are interested in
you have to change the configure line like this
--with-distro=KDE --with-icons=KDE
perhaps you can add it as comment in the PKGBUILD
it would be nice

#6 2004-05-12 18:19:40

wdemoss

I have installed openoffice, but it seems not to have regestered the applications for gnome. The post install said that mime types were added, and when I check that the desktop, application, and pixmap files were copied into /opt/gnome/share they exists. I have logged off and back in and tried to reboot. Still no luck.

Any Ideas?
-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#7 2004-05-12 19:51:45

Kin

137MB ? What kind of things does your package include ?

My own package only has about 80MB

#8 2004-05-12 20:14:50

tpowa
Developer

i think all languages are included
please correct me if i'm wrong

#9 2004-05-13 19:24:53

JGC
Developer

There's a bug in the .desktop files. I created a new PKGBUILD, but still need to upload it. A quick workaround is to add /opt/openoffice/bin to the PATH, or symlink the /opt/openoffice/bin things in /usr/bin.

Another workaround, the one I'm using in the next version, is fixing the .desktop files: edit the files and see that it says "Exec=/opt/openoffice/bin/oowriter", and "TryExec=oowriter". The TryExec thing is wrong. When you fix that one, it comes up in the gnome menu.

About the size: the resource dir eats up all the space. When unpacked, the package is over 500MB tongue
The resource dir is mainly l10n and i18n stuff.

#10 2004-05-15 17:23:20

Moo-Crumpus

Excellent multi languaged package, and it works. I like it. Should replace the common only british english openoffice package. Yuhpieh!

Frumpus addict

#11 2004-05-21 14:13:12

Moo-Crumpus

Have I already written how excellent this openoffice package is, and that it should become the standard one?  smile

Frumpus addict

#12 2004-05-21 15:27:26

tpowa
Developer

i tested the package now

my opinion:
the good things:

libgnomecups is a good thing for non kde users
all languages are included but it should be mentioned to remove the languages you don't need

the bad things:

i don't see performance boosts because it's now 686 optimized

i don't think it's a good idea to use the ximian version,
oo should look on all platforms the same way (icons)

i don't get the german help the rest is in german

keep up the good work

i don't like the ximian icons and it's not that faster
so i stay with the binaries from oo.org
i stay with that package:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=4316

i put up a new oo-quickstarter to staging called ooqstarter
can you test it if it works with your office version?
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=4673

bye

#13 2004-05-21 17:35:55

wdemoss

Pink Chick wrote:

Have I already written how excellent this openoffice package is, and that it should become the standard one?  smile

I second that. It is so much nicer, IMHO. For sure at least add ximian-openoffice to the extra repo, I would definitly vote for the package to be included wink. There can still be openoffice too, if people want that.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#14 2004-05-21 20:07:08

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

There really should only be one or the other.  Not two-packages-that-are-mostly-the-same-but-kind-of-different-only-because-one-is-a-fork-of-the-other, you know?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#15 2004-05-21 21:31:21

Moo-Crumpus

Fullack,
and it should be the-one-that-is-not-only-in-english-cause-the-maintainer-felt-it-was-enough-work-and-fits-his-needs

Not that I not asked him very kindly.

Frumpus addict

#16 2004-05-22 14:54:39

JGC
Developer

Fixed some things and created a new package (it was around for a while, but I didn't copy it to the repo yet, 100Mbit can be slow when you need to transfer 180MB over NFS wink)

I fixed up the desktop icons.

About libgnomecups: it's a dependency for ximian-ooo, it's only used for cups integration, nothing more nothing less. To be able to set printing preferences from ximian openoffice, you need gnome-cups-manager, which doesn't compile with gcc 3.4. When I fix the source to make it compile, it's unstable as hell and unusable.

I don't care if this one is going in arch. Right now we have 3 choices:
- We use binaries and forget about the buggy source that requires 500 patches and a different compiler
- We use Ximian's ooo-build
- We stick to the current beta version that won't recompile with gcc-3.4, but is in arch already from before the switch to gcc 3.4

I made these packages because the maintainer challanged me to get openoffice compiling on arch. Also, I like Ximian's ooo more than the regular one, and now I have the possibility to use it without running a stupid RPM distro like Redhat or SuSE.

#17 2004-05-22 16:15:12

Moo-Crumpus

The ximian openoffice is quite smarter, as it integrates itself into gnome / kde environment, instead of pure openoffice.

Frumpus addict

#18 2004-05-23 22:15:26

Egil.B

JGC, since you already have made one ximian-package, what about trying to make packages for some of the YaST-tools. SaX2 would be handy smile.
Yes, I could try myself, but I'm a lazy git.  :oops:

#19 2004-05-24 18:12:58

tpowa
Developer

perhaps it integrates right into the desktop

but remember if you have a person who is used to the windows icons oo loses it's identity because it looks complete different

#20 2004-05-24 19:21:46

Moo-Crumpus

tpowa wrote:

perhaps it integrates right into the desktop

but remember if you have a person who is used to the windows icons oo loses it's identity because it looks complete different

Yeah, like linux does, 2, comparing to windows. The menues are equal, the makro syntax is equal, the whole thing is equal - just the icons differ a bit. I think people switching from windows to linux could be shocked. smile

Frumpus addict

#21 2004-05-31 10:39:25

tpowa
Developer

i like the package because it includes all languages and there is no need of an user installation
i don't like the ximian version
because i have a mixed environment with windows and arch and suse
if you install the ximian version it differs in look and feel from the others
(i know the buttons have the same functions but if you change between the windows and linux machines it's irritating)
and you cannot use kprinter for printout

i don't think somebody runs different pc's with different iconssets
if he has not to do so
or am i the only one who uses the same iconset on my machines

i hope in 2.0 you can choose between the icon sets
or the standard icon set looks better than now

#22 2004-05-31 11:33:37

Moo-Crumpus

tpowa wrote:

or am i the only one who uses the same iconset on my machines

think so smile

Frumpus addict

#23 2004-05-31 13:09:01

IceRAM
Website

Hmmm.. I have a strange feeling that Arch won't have an official OpenOffice package soon... you may guess why...

I would like:
- OpenOffice >=1.1.1 (NO language packs - IMHO, all the languages should be available separately in a biiig <OpenOffice language pack>, if this doesn't interfere with the OpenOffice functionalities) - an extra 50MB is too much for some of the users...
- KDE (icons & integration)... well.. it's true.. there should be some build for the non-KDE users (or better: the possibility to change the appearance from within the OO programs)

Conclusion:
- I would not use this package because it's very big (I know, I can remove the language packs but I still have to download it)
- I would not use this package because it does not fit in my desktop (I think the other one does)
- I would not use tpowa's pack because it is in German (it's even built (taken) from DE sources (as far as I can see from the PKGBUILD))
- I can download the complete package for this one.. I can't download the package for tpowa's package.
- I could get the this package... build it by hand (P.S. I would have to copy the other files by hand in the PKGBUILD dir, the PKBUILD should point to the files on the net).. but that is:
a) slow (p3 450MHz, 128 RAM)
b) the binary is slow (as tpowa said - didn't test it my own)
c) I don't know exactly what to remove/change to make it build without language files
- this script fixes some "autoresponse.conf" file... tpowa's script doesn't. this might be fixed... this confuses me...

Now.. which one package should I choose?
Currently, "none" is a good answer, but I don't think this is a good answer for the Arch users. I still need OpenOffice in Linux and I'm getting tired of switching to windows just to open some stubborn .doc/.xls files just because KOffice doesn't read them well.

P.S. English is an international language, "more international" than German, if I may say so.

#24 2004-05-31 13:12:41

IceRAM
Website

JGC wrote:

After a few days of fiddling around with normal openoffice, I decided to go for the ooo-build system to get a ximian openoffice. The normal openoffice won't build on archlinux because gcc is "too new". The source is very buggy, so I think Ximian's ooo-build system is the way to go for next packages.

Doesn't the 1.1.2rc3 (I've seen tpowa uses it, the DE version) fix these GCC problems?

#25 2004-05-31 13:18:50

tpowa
Developer

my package uses the german built that's true
but you can easily change the pkgbuild for your needs for other languages
it is not a source build it runs only the installer for you and makes a pacman package out of it and links soffice to /usr/bin

there are 3 possibilities for install OO in arch
1. use JGC package which is compiled from source but is very big and   only ximian
2. use my package which uses the official packages from OO and you   don't have to run the installer
3. use the OO version from extra which is only english

Board footer