You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-15 16:31:01

jbromley

Power management with cpufreq/pm-utils [SOLVED]

I am trying to get the suspend/resume functionality working on my Dell Inspiron 9300. I noted that cpufreq/pm-utils are supposed to supersede powersave/kpowersave. I've get cpufreq installed and running fine, but it seems that I cannot adjust which governor to use based on if the computer is running on AC or not. Is it possible to have cpufreq switch governors based on whether or not my computer is plugged into an AC outlet? Or has it been decided that the complexity in allowing the client to switch between governors based on AC/no AC is not worth the battery life that would be saved by doing so?

I suppose if there is no way of doing this then I shall have to  write a script to make the mentioned change and run this script through ACPI events.

Any insights on cpufreq in general would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Jay

Last edited by jbromley (2007-10-16 07:04:56)

#2 2007-10-15 16:35:39

Matt3o

Re: Power management with cpufreq/pm-utils [SOLVED]

You probably need acpid also (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acpid)

#3 2007-10-15 16:36:04

fwojciec

Try something like laptop-mode-tools - very comprehensive, highly configurable and fully automatic once you set it up.  It also gives me by far the best results in terms of battery life with all laptops I've tried it with.

Edit: And yes, you do need acpid if you want things to switch automatically between AC/battery.

Last edited by fwojciec (2007-10-15 16:37:27)

#4 2007-10-16 07:04:39

jbromley

Yes, you both are correct, acpid is necessary. I've already got that working. (Actually, I'm using hal, which automatically loads acpid if it is available. Interesting what you can learn when you read the code.)

Anyway, I seem to have solved the problem by just dealing directly with handling the change from AC/ondemand to battery/powersave by modifying my ACPI handler.sh script. I just handled the ac_adapter event and it's arguments to call "cpufreq-set -g ondemand" and "cpufreq-set -g powersave" as necessary. It is working and doesn't require any more software to be installed.

I'll have to look at laptop-mode. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards to all.

Last edited by jbromley (2007-10-16 07:07:04)

Board footer