You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-31 13:42:41

draetsch

changing from xfree 4.4.0 to x.org

Hi,
I read that the ati drivers do not work with the current version of xfree but with x.org.
At the moment I have xfree installed and a running kde system. Is ist possible to switch from xfree to x.org without installing everything again?

#2 2004-05-31 19:34:28

Zephirias

Re: changing from xfree 4.4.0 to x.org

Well, I'm pretty sure that you have to remove all XFree dependant packages before installing X.Org (that's what happened to me a while ago, so I just reinstalled as the system had little configuration), and then you can reinstall them. The good thing is that if those packages that you downloaded are still in the cache, they'll just re-install off of the computer, so all you should need to download is the X.Org package. The problem is basically the annoyance of having to do so...

I could be wrong, but isn't there a -f force option in pacman that just overrides it? I may have tried that and it didn't work... :?

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#3 2004-06-01 01:46:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You are wrong.  There will be no dependency problems after you have teh x package installed.  You may have to remove xfree86 with the -d option (no dependency checking).

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-06-05 11:08:13

draetsch

Sorry for the delay. It worked without uninstalling everything. The only problem is, that the fonts in konqueror are not correct anymore. They are very bad to read now. I have no idea how to fix this.

Board footer