You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-17 23:07:50

speakeasy

Problem starting Kwrite, kate, gedit in KDE's Konsole. Xauthority?

Having fixed most of the problems on my install of Archlinux from the core.iso, I'm left with 2 problems. 1. I cant start vsftpd, but the one I'm concerned with is starting X apps from KDE's Konsole.

I've had this problem before, perhaps 2 years ago, and think it was an X authority problem, but have forgotten the fix.

here is the output when i try to start kwrite on Kde's Konsole as root.

[root@myhost djmons] # kwrite
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
kwrite: cannot connect to X server :0 . 0

Any suggestions, as usual, welcome.

Nigel. aka speakeasy.

#2 2007-10-18 00:14:49

AlmaMater

Re: Problem starting Kwrite, kate, gedit in KDE's Konsole. Xauthority?

By default, you cant start apps as Root in console
If you want to do it,  just type as user
xhost +hostname              (hostname, the one you put in rc.conf of course :] )
then you can start the apps you want as root in the console

#3 2007-10-18 17:21:49

speakeasy

Hi. I think that there's something else going on here.

I did what you suggested, and running xhost shows the entry has been added, but still no joy. Trying to start kwrite for example, gives the same output as on my original post.

I have a bunch of other distros (Fedora, Debian, etc) installed, and the default behaviour of Konsole in KDE, is that I can just su to root, and run GUI apps (Text editors, Synaptic, and so on), and I've just checked on FC2, and xhost shows no entries.

As I say. I don't know if there is some other problem here on Archlinux, but if the default behaviour of Konsole is to disallow xapps, where do I change this?

Anyway. meanwhile I've resolved the ssh. and ftp problems, and can always use nano in Konsole, but I installed jacman (the GUI frontend for pacman) and would really like to use this.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel. aka speakeasy.

#4 2007-10-18 21:32:04

speakeasy

Just an update. I asked about this problem on the KDE list, and Kevin Krammer suggested.
xhost +local:root

That works ok, and I can now run xapps as root on KDE's Konsole. The only problem is, that if I log out, and back in, the xhost entries are no longer there. I think I'll have to add a little script to KDE's autostart, which will run "xhost +local:root" each time I login. See script below, and make sure to make it executable.
<code>
#!/bin/bash

xhost +local:root
<end code>
That's it. Just 2 lines.

All the best.

Nigel. aka speakeasy.

Last edited by speakeasy (2007-10-18 21:34:35)

Board footer