You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-17 01:00:22

pedepy

all broken up ?!

hello .. ever since i have -Syu'd my system a couple days ago, everything is running amok;  konqueror cannot load the http slave; compiz fusion icon segfaults, emerald will not retain my themes, kdesktop crashes constantly, my fonts' sizes seem completly random...

i have tried downgrading kdemod and it doenst work, i have tried the testing version and its cause more problems than its solving ......

what the hell happened ?..

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2007-10-17 07:44:23

bwalk

Re: all broken up ?!

Don't know if its related, but I have also several problems after the latest Syu. Tracker and Banshee segfault, but this is due to sqlite changes. fusion-icon does not start automagically, blender segfaults whenever I want to open or save a project and I have several minor annoyances with gnome-related studd. Some of the problems I have tracked down but I have no clue, why my system goes crazy like that. Just wanted to report.

#3 2007-10-17 07:58:23

pedepy

well ... after reinstalling and carefully going though everything step by step, i got a somewhat functionning system now ..

i think fusion icon is broken but thats expected if you use software from git .. for now the rest seems to work with little glitches.. Also, kdemod is seeminly broken also for some reason, and i have read in another thread to use the 'testing' repo for the moment and that did fix the issue.

most of my problems did seem related to gnome packages. On my 1st "reinstall" i had fetched pretty much the same packages as before but on the 2nd one I tried to avoir as much gnome stuff as possible .. and I have fewer problems for it. Coincidence ?

The switch to the latest verison of gnome seems to have problem up a lot of stuff...

#4 2007-10-17 09:05:37

ise
Developer
Website

Running the latest GNOME from extra and no problems so far. Also fusion-icon is running.
Is your mirror fully in sync? Because, there was a lot of new packages, maybe you are missing one.

#5 2007-10-17 11:24:11

JGC
Developer

Your problem was kdemod that hadn't been updated with the new db and heimdal that moved to core at the same time GNOME was moved to extra. We can't support unofficial packages in 3rd party repositories, so if something breaks in those packages due to an upgrade, you should look at the 3rd party website first for a solution.

#6 2007-10-17 12:26:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

KDEmod broken with the hiemdal update. By any chance are you on x86_64? If so, you need to use the KDEmod testing repos for the next few days. Everything works great here after doing that.

Last edited by skottish (2007-10-17 12:26:54)

#7 2007-10-17 13:48:15

funkyou
Website

skottish wrote:

KDEmod broken with the hiemdal update. By any chance are you on x86_64? If so, you need to use the KDEmod testing repos for the next few days. Everything works great here after doing that.

There are also updated i686 packages available for more than 2 weeks now... I cant do more than announcing them wink

JGC wrote:

Your problem was kdemod that hadn't been updated with the new db and heimdal that moved to core at the same time GNOME was moved to extra. We can't support unofficial packages in 3rd party repositories, so if something breaks in those packages due to an upgrade, you should look at the 3rd party website first for a solution.

Thats a word smile

Let me add something. When you use [testing] you should know what you are doing, and you should inform yourself... I have seen at least two issues with many threads over the last weeks, where people ran [testing] and obviously hadnt informed theirselves, which resulted in many threads popping up about this... Hey, this is Arch, you have to inform yourself, at least a little bit smile

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#8 2007-10-20 17:40:36

pedepy

yea well i got the testing packages installed, and all is working fine now with perhaps the exception of my system tray (!) .. but that alright.

Now, pacman is asking me to fetch another huge upgrade, as it is right before my system got messed up, along with a few gnome packages and kdemod packages (from the "stable" repo). Im kinda afraid to do this upgrade actually .. if all goes wrong isnt there a pacman -undo thing?

think ill just backup my entire / partition before I do anything else ..

by the way funkyou i didnt like the new theme on kdemod at 1st but i must admit it has grown on me .. smile ive changed everything else in my interface to "match" it..

#9 2007-10-20 18:22:15

funkyou
Website

pedepy wrote:

Now, pacman is asking me to fetch another huge upgrade, as it is right before my system got messed up, along with a few gnome packages and kdemod packages (from the "stable" repo). Im kinda afraid to do this upgrade actually .. if all goes wrong isnt there a pacman -undo thing?

You can safely upgrade to KDE 3.5.8 from our stable repo, here is some more info about it.

pedepy wrote:

by the way funkyou i didnt like the new theme on kdemod at 1st but i must admit it has grown on me .. smile ive changed everything else in my interface to "match" it..

Thanks. We have updated the theme with 3.5.8 and changed some things, its better now in my opinion. The theme was created because i think the vanilla KDE settings are not a "usable default" and one has to tweak a lot to get a friendlier setting. Also, every "KDE centric distro" i have seen so far delivers ugly KDE defaults - none of them has some style (just my opinion), but that will likely change with KDE 4 because of the Oxygen upstream goodness smile Also notice that a vanilla KDE installation is now possible without problems, so if you dont like our theme, you can easily remove it and use KDEs defaults...

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#10 2007-10-20 21:14:09

pedepy

well i didnt really dislike the 'plastik' widget theme, but change is good you know ? Im not sure what the theme you have now for kdemod is called, but it kinda reminds me of that "bespin" style for KDE4 on kde-look.org. Both very osx-ish .. not that thats a bad thing necesserily smile

edit: just found out it was the 'domino' theme .. it looks cool yeah ... only glitch is with the tabs, they dont align correctly (the 1st one on the left) .. its about a pixel or two off ..

Last edited by pedepy (2007-10-20 23:30:35)

Board footer