You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-31 01:29:35

schome1

devfs conversion

I didn't know where to post this, but since it's dealing with my hard drive I thought this would be the place.

I am converting from devfs by following the wiki.  Problem is that my only hard drive is now referred to as /dev/hdb instead /dev/hda.  I downloaded the four script files that are mentioned in the wiki for converting from devfs and all seemed to go well when I ran the scripts.  Any idea how this could happen/how to fix it?

Thanks

#2 2004-06-02 02:31:02

schome1

Re: devfs conversion

Just in case anyone ever runs across this problem and is scratching their heads, the solution is simple and it's a hardware solution.  My hard drive was set up as cable select, which I now figured out to mean that the outer ide connector is master (hda) and the inner one is the slave (hdb).  I had my hard drive connected to the inner one.  If I had my hard drive jumpered as the master, it would have gone to hda despite the fact that I was connected to the inner ide connector.

#3 2004-06-02 04:02:27

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: devfs conversion

Also, informally, I've found that using Master/slave jumpers instead of CSelect allows for marginally faster hard drive access. I don't know why, just something I noticed, might be peculiar to my setup.

Board footer