You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-04 21:52:56

Notturno

root not found

I have seen this topic addressed before in the forum, but after trying the solutions proposed I still can't sort it out.
I compiled and installed a new kernel several times, everything seems ok, but after reboot I get the following error message:

Attempting to create root device '/dev/sda5'
ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/sda5'
ERROR: root fs cannot be detected. Try using the rootfstyme= kernel parameter.
Waiting for devices to settle... done.
Root device '/dev/sda5' doesn't exist, attempting to create it
ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/sda5'
ERROR: Failed to create/detect root device '/dev/sda5'
Dropping to a recovery shell... type 'exit' to reboot

I can boot in the same system with the old kernel no porblem and the menu.lst list is the same:

title Arch
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda5 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

title new kernel
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz2 root=/dev/sda5 ro
initrd /boot/kernel2.img

any clue?

#2 2007-10-04 21:58:59

lucke

Re: root not found

Perhaps you misconfigured your kernel (i.e. disabled too much in menuconfig).

#3 2007-10-04 22:23:49

Notturno

well as it is a test for a Live CD I used once the same default Archlinux config file and then the config from Slax live CD, so I assume most of the options are enabled.

#4 2007-10-04 22:32:19

lucke

Have you used Arch's kernel26 PKGBUILD? I see you have changed the name to kernel2, perhaps you did some mistake when editing PKGBUILD or kernel26.install or mkinitcpio stuff. Playing with all that, especially since initcpio came into play, can be quite error-prone.

Have you tried with kernel2-fallback.img?

#5 2007-10-04 22:52:02

Notturno

i compiled the kernel from source, twice, using the make command.
I just used the config from arch the first time and the config from Slax the second, both time got the same error.
I created the mkinitcpio image using :
mkinitcpio -g kernel2.img -k 2.6.22
I also tried using the kernel26-fallback.img at boot with the same result
maybe there is some module I should put in module configuration.

#6 2007-10-04 23:19:20

lucke

Well, I'd suggest you to build a kernel using ABS. The problem lies somewhere in your process of building "manually".

#7 2007-10-04 23:38:50

hybrid

I don't know that other thread and so I don't know what that "suggested solution" was you mentioned or what you've tried so far.
But since grub can't even access the specified partition, let's start the other way around: How did you build your kernel? What exactly was "the make command" you used and what user were you when you issued them?
See, if you make a mistake with the installation of the modules (like forgetting to 'make' them, or making them but forgetting to 'make modules_install' or running 'make modules_install' as a user) they won't be included in your ramdisk. And If your /boot partition (the one you set in your grub/menu.1st) is some "more exotic" FS grub won't be able to access it then.

Generallly some more information would be helpful: Was it working with the stock kernel? What FS are you using on that partition? Is your /boot on it's own partition?
Did you include all needed (FS-)modules into your kernel? What commands did you issue to build and install your own kernel/ramdisk?

(edit: It took me ~19min to type these few lines. Jeeze I'm a slow typer.. :> But I agree with lucke, that's where I expect the failure to be too)

Last edited by hybrid (2007-10-04 23:41:03)

#8 2007-10-04 23:46:24

Notturno

Well, I'd like to figure what am I doing wrong because I have been following the arch wiki line by line, using vanilla sources and got no error during compiling time.
also I used the INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/lib/modules to ensure the new kernel modules where in the right place.
As for ABS, the kernel I intend to build (after I get done with this one) needs to be patched with squashfs, LZMA y aufs which is kinda tricky and I'm not sure the PKGBUILD would handle it smoothly.

#9 2007-10-05 00:08:58

lucke

You just add those patches to source array and add a line for each patch in build(). There's a plethora of additional patches (including squashfs) in official kernel26 PKGBUILD already, so you won't have a problem figuring it out.

initcpio unfortunately added another level of complexity when building kernels, if you were building your own kernel manually it'd probably make more sense to get rid of initcpio/initramfs whatsoever.

Last edited by lucke (2007-10-05 01:31:30)

#10 2007-10-05 01:24:55

Notturno

Thanks for the feedbacl
I'll give the PKGBUILD a try to see if it works and will post if i succeed.

#11 2007-10-13 03:33:11

Notturno

I don't think to be able to figure this out.
I have recompiled the kernel, used both mkinitcpio-fallback and even mkinitrd full image to create init ram and every time I get the same error.
the entry in grub I"m sure its correct because I boot the same system no problem with the old kernel.
I used the same config file from arch so i don't know what might be wrong.

#12 2007-10-13 11:40:55

hybrid

Well, just as it was said earlier: a little more information would be great.
What "old kernel" are you talking about? (Is it a stock kernel, did you build it your own, what version is it)
Can you post the kernel configs of "the working" kernel and "the failing" kernel?
If "the working kernel" was stock (or not built by you personally) then please say exactly what you did (everything! unpacking the sources, make mrproper, make menuconfig, exiting menuconfig, make blabla, everything to "copying kernel image and system-map")
Are you using anything slightly "exotic" in your computer (What IDE/S-ATA, SCSI controller is on your mainboard? What filesystem is /boot on?)

#13 2007-10-14 05:19:00

Notturno

well, I tried all over and got the very same error.

I installed a fresh archlinux don't panic to a partition, upgraded and rebooted.
then I downloaded the kernel sources  2.6.23 from kernel.org to /usr/src and untarred them.
then i went on to do:

ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.23 /usr/src/linux
cd into the linux dir and copied the .config from /usr/src/linux.2.6.22-ARCH to
/usr/src/linux-2.6.22
I didnt change anything in the config.
then:
#make
#make dep
#make modules
#make modules_install
I renamed /lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH /lib/modules/l2.6.23
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz23
cp System.map /boot/System.map23
cp .config /boot/.config23
cp arch/i386/kconfig /boot/kconfig23

then:
#mkinitcpio -g /boot/kernel23.img -k 2.6.23
I also tried later:
#mkinitcpio -c /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26-fallback.conf -g /boot/kernel23-fallback.img -k 2.6.23
and:
#mkinitrd kernel_version=2.6.23

my grub entry is:

title Arch 2.6.23
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz23 root=/sda5 ro
initrd /boot/kernel23.img

changed the initrd line to kernel23-fallback.img or initrd.img in several trials.

my lapptop is a gateway P4, nothing special and I run archlinux on it without problems.

The thing is, I want to compile the kernel in order to use squashfs and squashfs-tools patched for LZMA and i find it rather tricky (at least for my skills level) to put this into the PKGBUIL, on account that part of the patching is done from outside the kernel compiling process.
let alone I just want to know what I am doing wrong

#14 2007-10-22 18:44:01

djidji

i had a very similar problem. what worked for me was adding "rootfstype=ext3" in the kernel line during boot. of course you have to set rootfstype to whatever fs type you are using. hope this helps...

Board footer