You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-16 11:15:22

skruw

retro gamers?

Today i start on a new project called:

"retroarch" (as for now atleast)

this project prob. will take a lot of time since i havent really got the time, after all i work all day.
but this project will grow. and when the main base is ready new feature implantation will be easy and should go quite fast.

retro arch:
. is a frontend to mame and uae (more emulators will be added)

. will make .desktop files for games added so that there will be a easy and nice menu in (at the moment) gnome (and later kde,fluxbox,and so on)

. will make bash scripts for games added so they can be run from terminal like any other game

. will store .config files for everygame seperate so that individual games can be configured (in progess, still trying to findout the best way to do this without a lot of garbage files, like for instance if you gave 200 games, you should not need 200 configs, i have a few ideas on how to implant this feature.)

. will not have any configuration boxes or stuff like that, that will launch when you start a game, all "floppys" will be mounted and configs loaded then the game will launch and all this will happen so that you wont see anything you will just ./amiga-game then it will start.

. will have even more features, just give me the ideas and i will somehow try to implant them if they are good. smile

. full bash coding, no c++, no perl, nothing like that (IF POSSIBLE) so that _anyone_ can configure and tweak the software as they want.

----

i hope this sounds like a good idea, i would love feedback, ideas etc.
and the most important thing, this is for arch, archlinux has given me so much over the years, and i think you guys deserve something in return.

#2 2004-11-16 18:34:35

shlo

Re: retro gamers?

Rock out. I will test the crap out of it.

#3 2004-11-16 20:25:52

IceRAM
Website

Sugestion: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ might help.

#4 2004-11-16 22:25:03

aCoder
Website

. full bash coding, no c++, no perl, nothing like that (IF POSSIBLE) so that _anyone_ can configure and tweak the software as they want.

What about Python?  Everyone loves Python! big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

BTW, it sounds like a great idea to me! (with or without Python...)

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#5 2004-11-16 22:42:28

punkrockguy318
Website

aCoder wrote:

What about Python?  Everyone loves Python! big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

BTW, it sounds like a great idea to me! (with or without Python...)

Is this a live CD?

And python would probobly be a better choice for a REAL project.. bash is nice for shell scripts... but python for real stuff

you probobly could just hack away on the amlug cd for starters - talk to rassat if your interested

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#6 2004-11-17 06:00:21

Moo-Crumpus

gimme gimme gimme
pretty nice

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2004-11-17 06:08:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

or...use.....
ruby!

oh..just use bash like you want to.  lol

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2004-11-17 22:29:01

oscar

java!
java!
java!

smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#9 2004-11-22 14:49:50

skruw

hello everybody
-'hi dr nick'

cos of my lack of time, and your enthusiasm,
as of 10:30 last night, this project was overtaken by 'jacktherabbit'
as his computor for the moment is offline, he can only code alone in the darkness.
i told him to (as soon as he has removed debian and installed arch) report to this forum for your joy.

i hope this project will be carryed out nicely and that you will get what you want, if not then i will start on it fresh again.

#10 2005-04-08 04:14:33

shadowhand
Website

If you are planning this as a LiveCD, you might want to check out z4ziggy's live cd creation scripts.

http://user-contributions.org/projects/archie/source/

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#11 2007-10-22 19:30:19

nadman10

any update on this? i've been looking for something similar

Board footer