You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-05 21:17:55

mastergara

Installation on rack-based appliance

Greetings all,

One of my side projects has been attempting to get Arch installed on a rack-based appliance that has no CDROM, no Floppy, and pretty much no way to get data to the drive, aside from pulling the media out of there, and using an alternate machine to install. However, it does have a serial console, so I can see the output of the bootup process.

On the secondary machine I am using to install arch, I am able to watch it install, boot to the login prompt, and even see the output of the bootup process via a tertiary machine's serial console. When I take the same drive and put it back into the appliance, I watch the initial BIOS startup (through the serial console), watch grub prompt me for the selection, select the default kernel and it just waits there. sad I see it go to the screen where it shows the kernel and initrd selected, but nothing further. No disc activity or anything of the like. Just sits there waiting for Godot.

If I take the same hard drive out of the appliance and put it back into the system I used to image (install arch) the drive, it boots up fine, and I can even see all the boot process through the serial connection on the image system.

Any ideas on what I am battling with or my next step?

smile

There - At that location; Their - Belonging to them; They're - An abbreviation of "They are"
Your - Belonging to you; You're - An abbreviation of "You are"; Ur -An ancient Mesopotamian city

#2 2007-10-22 21:54:47

mastergara

Re: Installation on rack-based appliance

*Bump*

Any Ideas?

There - At that location; Their - Belonging to them; They're - An abbreviation of "They are"
Your - Belonging to you; You're - An abbreviation of "You are"; Ur -An ancient Mesopotamian city

Board footer