You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-01 22:27:13

mdirolf

Firefox question

Is there a way to have it so that mozilla-firefox will startup and instead of just opening my homepage (archlinux.org :-D) it will also open other tabs with other sites already loaded, so as if I had 3 homepages?

thanks for the help in advance,
Mike

#2 2004-06-01 22:53:04

i3839

Re: Firefox question

I found it out by accident, but just open all sites you want and use the "current site" button at the homepage options.

#3 2004-06-02 01:05:42

mdirolf

Thanks, works like a charm

#4 2004-06-02 12:22:27

wdemoss

On the topic of firefox questions...

How do you add extensions using firefox? When I click on Get New Extensions in the Options panel, pick the extension that I want off of the site, it says it will install it. Then an error occurs saying that I have insufficent privaledges to write to /opt/mozilla-firefox/.... and I don't want to make /opt/mozilla-firefox world writable.

Is there a way to tell firefox to put the extensions in some folder in my home directory?

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#5 2004-06-02 12:31:20

Egil.B

Usually I just press cancel if it asks to place it in /opt, and it installs in my profile wink, (tabbrowser extensions)

#6 2004-06-02 14:41:57

colnago

You want to install to your profile dir rather than the global dir, but there are a few extensions that do not have this option.  Diggler is one like that.  To get it to install you need to open the browser as root and then install it.

I should add that you can always install firefox locally to a user.  I don't want to screw with the global install at work, so I have a ~/bin dir where I unpack the nightly firefox build.  Just add ~/bin/firefox to your PATH and you are set to go.  You don't get problems like this and firefox saves config settings between releases in ~/.phoenix/ (just recently changed to ~/.firefox for obvious reasons) so you dont have to reinstall all extensions if you use a new build.  You do have to insall the ones (like diggler) installed to the ~/bin/firefox/... dir though.

#7 2004-06-05 00:34:20

gs

I slaved for a long time on this one. Then I remembered that I had sudo installed.

I called
# sudo /opt/mozilla-firefox/bin/firefox
at the user prompt.

A word of warning, though, save your bookmarks, first -- because making this call and exiting later strips your bookmarks out! And you will need to import them back in again.

What the beep was that?

Board footer