You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-02 05:41:24

lilsirecho
Veteran

Pacman -Syu includes pkgs kdelibs and kdemultimedia

Please advise regarding the subject pkgs which recently caused loss of functions in Kde.

Are these pkgs still capable of causing disruption?

Can the -Syu system be corrected to eliminate defective pkgs?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-06-02 06:45:34

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Pacman -Syu includes pkgs kdelibs and kdemultimedia

either put Ignore <pkg> in pacman.conf or manually install packages until new kde comes out ..

HTH

Mr Green

Mr Green

#3 2004-06-02 15:27:40

sarah31
Website

well it depends on whether the "disruption" was caused by not keeping these packages up - to - date in the first place.  The first thing you can do is make sure a working copy of each package is in your cache then upgrade. if the packages are still "broken" then you can just drop back to using the "working" packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-06-02 15:29:27

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

dropping back solved it for me .... as you say old (working) packages are in cache....

Mr Green

Mr Green

#5 2004-06-02 17:01:57

lilsirecho
Veteran

Appreciate answers to post.  My system is up-to-date but cannot risk getting bad pkgs installed again so no updates until problem is eliminated one way or another.

I asked a pertinent question which has yet to be answered; can ..pacman -Syu be modified to eliminate known defective pkgs which in this case it is known?

Why must the defective packages mess with the next man's download?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2004-06-02 17:26:43

sarah31
Website

If you know a package is defective:

1. file a bug report
2. to prevent downloading or installing said package(s) again edit your pacman.conf by adding said package(s) to the IgnorePkg (or whatever list)

I believe that Mr. Green answered you.

As for not downloading them in the first place.. sometimes the maintainer may not even know of the problem so file that bug report. The faster they know of bugs the sooner they can troubleshoot them and hopefully offer a fixed package so that -Syu "will work".

oh and you may also prevent bum packages by trying as hard as possible to stay on top of announcements and other goings on.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-06-02 17:56:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I believe pacman is capable of downgrading packages automatically already.    The key is to have a developer choose to downgrade a package in pacman, in which case its more worthy of their time to fix the bug.

Dusty

#8 2004-06-02 19:57:59

lilsirecho
Veteran

I reiterate...those not in the know will have to backtrack when they do the usual ...pacman -Syu... even though the system maintainers leave the defects in the download with no warning...

End of comments...

#9 2004-06-02 20:10:38

sarah31
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

I reiterate...those not in the know will have to backtrack when they do the usual ...pacman -Syu... even though the system maintainers leave the defects in the download with no warning...

End of comments...

yes unfortunately this is one of the drawbacks of rolling release systems.  that is why i have been so vocal about filing bugs. that way IF  broken packages are in the repos it will not be for long. I don't know if the maintainer of kde had those two packages in the testing repo first or not but there are a base core of kde apps that maintainers should ALWAYS put into the testing repo befiore releasing on the unsuspecting public. KDE is too big and important for its users to have to fiddle around with to try and fix bugs.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer