You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-15 21:46:33

judfilm

[AUR] KompoZer - Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release

http://kompozer.net/

** Great work from all the people on this thread! **

AUR Package

Last edited by judfilm (2007-11-08 11:40:23)

#2 2007-08-23 01:16:06

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Re: [AUR] KompoZer - Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release

I second this request. big_smile

#3 2007-09-09 15:30:20

musunge

Me too!  According to information in their forums, NVU is dead, or as good as dead.  Kompozer is the "replacement" product, so should be fairly easy to make a package.  I will try and install from source and see what happens...

#4 2007-09-10 13:43:05

tcmdvm
Website

I successfully compiled it on a x86_64 a few days ago. It seem to work OK. I haven't had time to see how hard it would be to make a package.

#5 2007-09-19 22:17:15

ssl6

i was just looking around for something like that, i tried bluefish last night, but i was hoping for something with an internal preview to work on my site since my basic html coding and gimp skills make for a pretty lame site

would be nice to have a package for it. but ill give a try compiling it tonight once i find this post again

this is a signature

#6 2007-10-01 13:37:50

foxbunny
Website

If you are looking for previews (without WYSIWYG editing capability) try Aptana. It can be installed as Aptana, or as Aptana plug-in for Eclipse. Aptana is an excellent tool for coders, it has Gecko-based preview and it integrates with FireFox+FireBug for JavaScript debugging. It's based on Eclipse, so it is a wee bit demanding resources-wise.

#7 2007-10-04 23:50:36

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I think it is no longer unofficial. KompoZer is set to officially replace Nvu..or atleast Nvu is set to officially be obsolete and die. I made a PKGBUILD out of the source and installed it..runs fine. But IMO there are a few other things to be configured before installation which I currently have no time to do, and thus did not put it up on AUR.

And the main thing is, the maintainers of Nvu might wanna replace it with KompoZer.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#8 2007-10-05 00:26:24

Mikko777

So how does kompozer fare against dreamweaver?

and plus 1 for request this one i'd really like to try out.

#9 2007-10-05 11:31:02

eyolf
Website

It still has the #1 flaw that Nvu had, and, according to the main developer, it will always have that: It reformats your code. I tried it out for a while, but that was the real dealbreaker, especially since I have lots of <pre> blocks in my pages.
I know the Quanta people hate it when someone says this, but Dreamweaver is the best there is... Does not write  horrible stuff in the code in wysiwyg mode, has excellent tools for site-wide maintainance, etc. DW is the only thing I miss from Windows.

#10 2007-10-05 13:12:26

foxbunny
Website

It's not about Quanta people. It's about the futility of trying to compare WYSIWYG editors to code editors. As far as the former go, DW *is* the best out there.

But WYSIWYG editors will always have a major limitation compared to code editors in that the former simply cannot optimize the code or introduce hacks, because those cannot be easily controlled automatically. So if you care about the code, you are always better off using Quanta, Kate, Gedit, Vim, Emacs or Aptana... etc. If you want to quickly lay out the page and the code doesn't matter *that* much, you will not make a mistake by purchasing DW (*that* much meaning, absolute control over, and the ability to introduce in the first place, the various hacks and tricks coders often use).

my 2c

#11 2007-10-05 13:50:17

eyolf
Website

Yes, except that quanta boasts a wysiwyg mode, sortof, even though they are eager to emphasise that it's heavily broken (which it is) -- it almost seems that they're proud of it, sortof as if having it detracts from the value of the product...
When I used DW, I always had a split view, with the code AND the wysiwyg. Most of the time I'd write in the latter, for convenience (since I mostly write text anyway), but I could always see what happened in the code and adjust that immediately, since the two views were (almost) instantly synced.
This is not to say that I don't like Quanta -- it's what I use these days -- but in my experience, the strong distinction between code and wysiwyg editors doesn't quite apply to DW.

Sorry, this is now blatantly off-topic. I'll shut up :-)

#12 2007-10-05 19:58:34

s26c.sayan
Website

judfilm wrote:

Hi, I'd like to give a shout out for KompoZer - Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release. If someone would be so kind to create a package for this. Thanks.

http://kompozer.net/

I second this request too!
PKGBUILD plz! smile

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#13 2007-10-08 04:35:26

shen
Website

I'd love to see a package for this as well...

#14 2007-10-14 22:38:38

wornaki

I'd like to have it in AUR as well. That makes quite a number of interested guys.

#15 2007-10-18 00:06:34

lumiwa

I'd like to have it in AUR as well. Thanks...

http://www.kompozer.net/download.php

#16 2007-10-18 14:09:43

dir

Okay I made a PKGBUILD, but I didn't test the features of the program. You can browse the PKGBUILD or the package here: http://dirr.ath.cx/~dir/build/kompozer/

Last edited by dir (2007-10-18 14:10:02)

#17 2007-10-19 11:23:13

lumiwa

dir wrote:

Okay I made a PKGBUILD, but I didn't test the features of the program. You can browse the PKGBUILD or the package here: http://dirr.ath.cx/~dir/build/kompozer/

Thank you but would be nice if you psted PKGBUILD in the forum because I couldn't open your link.

#18 2007-10-19 19:39:14

tardo

I strongly suggest NOT installing to /opt. I think it will install just fine in /usr. Also, take a look at the patches directory, useful stuff in there.

#19 2007-10-20 16:21:45

Mikko777

lumiwa wrote:
dir wrote:

Thank you but would be nice if you psted PKGBUILD in the forum because I couldn't open your link.

tardo wrote:

I strongly suggest NOT installing to /opt. I think it will install just fine in /usr. Also, take a look at the patches directory, useful stuff in there.

# Contributor: dir <boypansit@gmail.com>

pkgname=kompozer
pkgver=0.7.10
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="WYSIWYG Web Authoring System"
arch=(i686)
license=('GPL')
url="http://www.kompozer.net"
depends=('gtk2' 'glib2' 'pango' 'nss' 'libxt' 'libidl2')
makedepends=('zip')
source=(http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/kompozer/${pkgname}-${pkgver}dfsg-src.tar.gz)
md5sums=('422675f098bae8cbd1e4d35cae426855')

build() {
  cd ${startdir}/src/${pkgname}-${pkgver}/mozilla

./remove.nonfree || return 1
  sed -i 's|^ac_add_options\ --enable-optimize.*|ac_add_options\ --enable-optimize="${CFLAGS}"|' .mozconfig || return 1
  sed -i 's|^export CFLAGS="-DDEBIAN"|export CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"|' .mozconfig || return 1
  sed -i 's|^export CXXFLAGS="-DDEBIAN"|export CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"|' .mozconfig || return 1
  sed -i 's|^ac_add_options  --without-system-png|ac_add_options  --with-system-png|' .mozconfig || return 1
  echo "ac_add_options --disable-xinerama" >> .mozconfig || return 1
  ./configure --prefix=/usr

make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=${startdir}/pkg install

cd ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/${pkgname}
  export MOZTMP=`mktemp -d -p ${startdir}/src`
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` HOME=${MOZTMP} ./kompozer-bin -register  
  rm -rf ${MOZTMP}

cd chrome && find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -exec rm -rf {} \;

rm -rf ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share
  rm -rf ${startdir}/pkg/usr/include
  rm -rf ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/pkgconfig

#set firefox as a default browser
  sed -i 's|"/usr/bin/x-www-browser"|"/opt/mozilla/bin/firefox"|g' ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/${pkgname}/defaults/profile/all.js || return 1
  sed -i 's|"/usr/bin/x-www-browser"|"/opt/mozilla/bin/firefox"|g' ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/${pkgname}/defaults/pref/all.js || return 1
}

I hope its ok to post that here, anyways does that look ok?

#20 2007-10-21 01:43:22

dir

Yeah it's okay. Also, I changed the path from opt to usr.

#21 2007-10-21 02:48:18

tardo

cd ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/${pkgname}
  export MOZTMP=`mktemp -d -p ${startdir}/src`
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` HOME=${MOZTMP} ./kompozer-bin -register  
  rm -rf ${MOZTMP}

cd chrome && find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -exec rm -rf {} \;

rm -rf ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share
  rm -rf ${startdir}/pkg/usr/include
  rm -rf ${startdir}/pkg/usr/lib/pkgconfig

This part seems strange. First off, why are you registering? Is this something the user should be doing? If so, don't do this in the PKGBUILD. I ran komposer fine without that command.
Second, why are you deleting everything inside chrome? If that's part of the lib, something is sure to crash.
Third, what's with all the rm -rf. The pkgconfig and include directories are there because you're using libraries shipped with komposer. Try disabling them (hint: look in configure). I already found an extra option: --with-system-nspr
Also, if you read remove.nonfree, it should tell you to apply the remove-nonfree.patch.

#22 2007-10-21 04:25:43

dir

This part seems strange. First off, why are you registering? Is this something the user should be doing? If so, don't do this in the PKGBUILD. I ran komposer fine without that command.

Registering will fix this error when running kompozer for the first time:

"Extension System Warning: Failed to set up default extensions files probably because you do not have write privileges to this location.
While you can run Firefox like this, it is recommended that you run it at least once with privileges that allow it to generate these initial files to improve start performance.

Did you try the PKGBUILD and so you forgot to remove ~/.kompozer?

what's with all the rm -rf.

I saw that from the Firefox PKGBUILD in the CVS and I just copied it. So I also copied the rm -rf commands.

I already found an extra option: --with-system-nspr

I guess I missed that option when I run ./configure. Will try it when I have some extra time. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by dir (2007-10-21 04:28:15)

#23 2007-10-21 05:08:57

tardo

I built it without the PKGBUILD, when I ran it the first time, I didn't get that message. If it's doing what I think it's doing, then it will try to access MOZTEMP again, which is probably not a good thing.

#24 2007-10-24 06:47:33

dir

Tried building the package on a different box and removed the register line, the warning message still pops up. So its better to remove that line and make an .install file and inform the user to run kompozer as root for the first time?

Board footer