You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-06 15:31:20

Zharvek
Website

Broken console screen when closing X.org

Hello, I've been using Arch for awhile now, and recently downloaded the Beta2 ISO image, and installed it. Everything is working great, except I have a slight problem that I have not had on recent versions.

When I start XFCE4, and then close it back to the linux console, my screen is all messed up, lines flashing and staggered half lines of text about the screen. At first, I thought it might be my grub vga= line, but I removed that, and no effect.

WM: XFCE4 (XOrg)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT SLI Enabled (2x 6800 GTs)
Video Driver: nvidia (from pacman -Sy nvidia nvidia-utils)

The system does not freeze, I can type 'reboot' and it will come back up fine after a reboot, or I can just start XFCE back up, and the display is normal, exit again, and it's back to broken.

I could very well be my configuration, or a driver problem. I know the hardware works, as I have used it in SLI in XP, and in the Arch Beta1 ISO. I used hwd to detect my hardware, then I used nvidia-xconfig --sli=on to configure the xorg.conf file for my video, then I hand edited the xorg.conf file and changed my resolution and color depth to desired levels. This works great, and always has.

I can take a physical photo if you would like when I get home after work today.

Thanks in advance for looking! big_smile

#2 2007-03-06 17:24:32

Fatsobob

Re: Broken console screen when closing X.org

It might have something to do with the SLI setup, but that is just my paranoia. Try disabling SLI and see what happens when you do it.

#3 2007-03-11 15:12:58

Zharvek
Website

Hello, thanks for responding... Although I am a little late on this...

Yes, I removed the SLI option in the xorg.conf file, and it works...

So I made a PKGBUILD file for the newest version of the driver and utils from nvidia, but same problem.

I finally resolved the problem by making an PKGBUILD for version 9631 of the nvidia driver.

When making the PKGBUILD file, I had to remove a line that was added to the newer versions, the line was:

install X11R6/lib/modules/libnvidia-wfb.so.$pkgver $startdir/pkg/usr/lib/xorg/modules || return 1

Does this line have something to do with framebuffer? As wfb is in the filename? My display works fine now.

#4 2007-10-24 20:56:00

bud

I have exactly the same problem, the only way for me to get it to work is to unplug the tv-out cable.
Perhaps it is a driver-issue where the signal runs to the tv-out instead of vga/dvi ??

EDIT: AHA! Solved, i used the 7xx drivers insted of 9xx as I should. Everything is flawless now [SOLVED] big_smile

Last edited by bud (2007-10-28 19:58:53)

Hello, I am normal!

Board footer