You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-25 21:00:54

elasticdog
Website

Can mount NTFS just fine, but freezes machine when I copy from it

Well, a few months back, I completely got rid of my Windows machine, but kept my separate data drive that is formatted with NTFS.  I wanted to pull all the data I needed off of there and reformat the drive to use in another system, but am having issues.  I can mount the drive just fine with:

$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows

...and as root I can poke around and cat files and whatnot, but whenever I try to do a recursive copy, it makes a strange (loud) hard drive seek noise, freezes, and then after around 20-30 seconds will completely lock up the system and I'll have to power it down with the switch on the front of the machine...I can't SSH in or anything to force a reboot.

I tried this a few times, and can copy individual files by hand, but as soon as I do a recursive copy it chokes...I also tried using ntfs-3g, with the same results.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  If all else fails, I'll just bring the drive in to work and hook it up to a windows box, then transfer the files I need over sftp to my Arch machine at home...would rather not have to do that though.

Board footer