You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-26 11:56:50

hybrid

can't get Win2k to run in either qemu or virtualbox

Hi, yeah, for some reaason I can't get Win2k to run in either qemu or virtualbox. The Win2k-CD I use has the service pack 3 built in. k, now to what happens:
Qemu: I am using a 10gig raw image as my primary partition here (empty).
I can install fine (just takes forever) but when I boot that machine windows tells me right before the login screen that the desktop environment couldn't be loaded. I can only turn off that machine then.

Virtualbox PUEL: I'm using a 10GB fixed size image as my primary partition here (set up with the VirtualBox GUI).
The first part of the installation (the ncurse-like one) works fine, then the installer reboots the machine to load Windows and it starts that wizzard that detects your hardware, let's you choose your locale and stuff. After that it reboots the machine again and I'm stuck in a loop cause it always starts that wizzard instead of loading the login-manager.

The corresponding modules are loaded in each scenario.
Hopefully someone can help me (especially with virtualbox).

#2 2007-10-26 12:17:31

hybrid

Re: can't get Win2k to run in either qemu or virtualbox

Qemu: I found this article that adresses that problem and shows a fix + hotfix. So I'll do that.

Virtualbox PUEL: I still have no idea why it is doing that.

#3 2007-10-27 17:28:26

hybrid

Re: can't get Win2k to run in either qemu or virtualbox

Virtualbox PUEL: I just went trought this wizzard thing three times, eventually got tired and shut the VM down. Then I had to reboot my real computer and after that I tried it again. And after I finished that wizzard for the second time it actually booted the system, so everything works fine now. Weird, I don't have any explanation, but it works now.

Board footer