You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-29 01:10:42

rgrace

[Resolved] New to Arch. Nvidia giving me fits.

I have installed many distro's in the past but have only recently decided to use linux full time.  I did a LFS install on my laptop for educational purposes.  It was pretty cool but with lack of package management I never tried to take it much further than the base install.  Anyway, back to the point.  So far I love Arch Linux.  It is by far the best I have tried.  The main problem is I have spent the last few days doing everything I know to do.  And doing heavy research on the internet to get my video card working.  I have a asus-a7n266 motherboard.  It has an integrated nvidia video card.  I have installed the 96xx driver pkg and x will load.  But then it locks X.  Sometimes it locks the entire computer.  Basically my question is, what should I try next? ..  That is my first issue.  My second issue is I switched to arch because I had read that I could update my whole system with one command through ABS using one command.  I have searched the wiki and everything I can find about that one command is makeworld.  But there is no info for it anywhere in the wiki.  One user stated to do a makeworld --help.  I did that but still it has not answered any of my questions about ho to update the system to use my cflags with one command.  Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks very much for creating such a wonderful distro.  It is rather awesome compared to the others I have tried (debian,redhat,mandrake,gentoo,ubuntu).  Thanks again.

Roy Grace

Thanks to all.  The issue has been resolved.  The NvIdia 71xx driver took care of the issue.  I tried it in the past but for some reason it works flawlessly now.  Again thanks to all who responded.

Last edited by rgrace (2007-10-29 19:01:46)

#2 2007-10-29 01:12:32

rgrace

Re: [Resolved] New to Arch. Nvidia giving me fits.

I forgot to include that all the research I have done so far on the nvidia chips points to it being a geforce2 mx chip.  I have not been able to find any more info on this chip other than that.

#3 2007-10-29 01:29:13

hacosta

check your Xorg.0.log for WW and EE

#4 2007-10-29 02:05:28

rgrace

The following WW and EE messages were pertaining to the Nvidia card.

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

(WW) The NVIDIA driver has encountered too many errors.
(WW) Falling back to legacy PCI Mode.

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Error recovery failed.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

The above two lines are printed 36 times.

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to free video decoder object.
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to tear down video overlay.

When I started X this time it acted differently instead of locking up, it opened the terminal windows.  The terminal windows were white and black striped.  I could type commands into the terminal windows but could not see what I typed.  The commands worked but results were very slow and choppy.

#5 2007-10-29 02:28:44

hacosta

maybe you can try this driver?
extra/nvidia-71xx 71.86.01-3
    NVIDIA legacy drivers for kernel26, 71xx branch

#6 2007-10-29 02:42:03

rgrace

I tried the 71xx driver but could not get nvidia-xconfig to work after installing..  Is there a diffeent command to set it up?

#7 2007-10-29 02:44:00

rgrace

I have found a few options I have not tried I am about to go enter them one by one and restart x each time and see if I can get any closer to a solution.  I will post my results as soon as I try them.

#8 2007-10-29 03:17:14

rgrace

I tried the following Optons that I got off of another forum with the following results.

Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "off"  <<-------  Screen seems to look a little better but still the same problems.
Option "NvAGP" "1"                             <<-------  No noticeable difference, same with "0"
Option "RenderAccel" "on"                   <<-------  Loads a blank screen with mouse cursor then locks computer
Option "RenderAccel" "off"                   <<-------  Looks a lot better had very little screen distortion but kicks me out of X

Hmm..  Any more suggestions of what to try?

#9 2007-10-29 13:26:53

byte

Have you tried xf86-video-nv? Just to check if your Xorg config and such is alright... 3-D acceleration is a bonus adventure.

#10 2007-10-29 14:26:53

dolby

u need nvidia-96xx for geforce2 mx cards

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#11 2007-10-29 14:50:52

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Have you had a look at the nVidia article in the wiki?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

Board footer