You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-30 20:23:23

jinn

Hiding folders in linux?

I have found a very unique way of hiding folders in my university. I really really want to understand how its working and if I dont I might die of curiousity.. This is a very cool security thing for multiuser environments.

explanation:
All user folders are hidden, doesnt matter if you do ls -la or anything else, nothing shows. Until somebody changes directory into them with cd command.. Then that folder is available. and can be seen with ls..

I also noticed that all user folders are mount through nfs.

How in jesus name does that work???

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#2 2007-10-30 22:37:33

Gilneas

Re: Hiding folders in linux?

Is it the same as a chmod a-r on the directory?

#3 2007-10-31 03:53:00

rson451
Website

i believe this is a **feature** with autofs.  before we used autofs to set up nfs mounts at my school, we could see the entire home directory structure, but we moved over this summer and now only users that have been logged into that machine since the last reboot will have their home directory shown (unless of course you cd to the directory).  i like this feature because on a large scale, it prevents people from knowing usernames if all user's home directories are set up as /home/username.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#4 2007-10-31 17:04:12

jinn

I think the autofs thing is correct. Seems to be the same behaviour, and type. I will look into this by google. Btw do you have any links?

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

Board footer