You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-02 13:19:47

smcsw2000

Updating system with dialup

Since I am on 26.4 kbs dialup and the first time I tried Su my dialup died and I had to try again, but was locked out. So then I tried pacman -U on one file at a time I started with db-4.6.21-, this went fine but when it finished and updated the system I lost wvdial so no modem. I used the boot disk and copied the db4.5 over and got my modem back. But now I am leary and do not know if there is a certain order to update so as not to cause conflicts with the current system till everything is downloaded. Trying to download over 850MB will take me over 2 weeks to do so I must be careful or I will be right back to the beginning again. Any Ideas as to the order of the files or is there a way to download parts of packets and combine them ?? Thanks

#2 2007-11-02 13:47:11

byte

Re: Updating system with dialup

I'm on dialup too but at least I could go elsewhere to fetch updates. If you have absolutely no other means of internet access, then I would go so far as to recommend a different distro, one without rolling releases. How about Slackware?

#3 2007-11-02 14:15:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Updating system with dialup

I successfully ran Arch on dialup for a couple years. I'm not certain what problem you have exactly, but here's some tips:

* pacman -Suw will download all the packages without installing them. pacman -Sw packagename will download a specific package without installing it

* pacman supports download resume, so if your connection crashes you should be able to start over where you left off.
        - if this doesn't work: try a different mirror OR try using wget as your downloader

* trickle is a neat program that allows you to limit pacman to 1k per second so it runs in the background while you browse. This still takes up a 3rd of your bandwidth, but it does allow you to be semi functional.

Dusty

Board footer