You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-05 01:22:01

matto
Website

panic!!!! -> "pacman -Syu" now arch is broken?!

hi there
after i finally got my archlinux 0.6 installed and working, i tried an system update
like read somewhere in wiki with
pacman -Syu that works fine... even pacman updatet itself...
after the update xfce4 seems not to work correctly so i wantes to restart it, and gets the message that something is wrong with xfce4-panel.
clicked several time "ok".. nothing happens. then i tried to reinstall xfce4 panel but pacman say smthg that the package does not exist.
then i tried to update whole xfce4, no success.  then i realized that old xfce was the only working gui and lots of programms , for example licq, didn´t want to start!
after i while i´ve had enough of these error messeges and i decided to restart linux...  but it doenst starts anymore.. its hanging at:
"arch..........." thats all :-(

before this happens everything runs correctly :-/ what have i done wrong???

maybe it´s because pacman said something with conflict of xfree and a package beginning with v (vera or velra or something like that) and pacman asks me to remove this and i said yes :-)

ok thats it.....

what was my mistake and what should i do know? intall arch new or repair it (how to do)
greetings matto

// DAMNiAM //

#2 2004-06-05 01:29:07

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: panic!!!! -> "pacman -Syu" now arch is broken?!

maybe you had customized some config file, and you did not put it into the ignore section of pacman, and so it was over-written.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-06-05 01:53:56

sarah31
Website

well first just some advice ... after installing upgrade pacman first before you upgrade anything else.

even before this make sure that you have refreshed (resynced) with the archlinux package databases. your package does not exist errors are due to your local db not being synced with the current db.

before you do a full system upgrade as well make sure you hit the the arch homepage and read the news and announcement so that you are aware of any prolematic upgrades.

one of the packages that was upgrade was likely your kernel and one of the possible reasons you may not be able to reboot is that you may be using the lilo bootloader which requires you to run 'lilo'
after ANY kernel upgrade.

i doubt that the package removed is the cause of your system instability it is more likely your lack of familiarity with how to maintain an arch linux  install.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-06-05 02:04:41

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sarah31 wrote:

well first just some advice ... after installing upgrade pacman first before you upgrade anything else.

Doesn't pacman automatically check if there is a new version of pacman now? (assuming you ran Sy first).

Dusty

#5 2004-06-05 02:12:49

sarah31
Website

Dusty wrote:
sarah31 wrote:

Doesn't pacman automatically check if there is a new version of pacman now? (assuming you ran Sy first).

Dusty

probably but does the initially installed pacman do so?

anyway it seems clear to me that he is not properly synced if he is getting non existent package errors

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-06-05 02:36:41

aCoder
Website

I don't know about the pacman errors, but I've seen that xfce-panel error in an old version of the pkg.  You could try editing your /etc/pacman.conf to make sure that you're using a good mirror.  Not that any are bad, but I think there are a few just a few days behind, and xfce4 was updated recently to the working version I have now.  The error was in a really old version though, so I doubt that's it, but you don't sound like you could screw much up trying.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#7 2004-06-06 01:52:27

yak8998

the pacman version included on the 0.6 snapshot DOES upgrade itself first (just to clarify)

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#8 2004-06-06 10:32:35

matto
Website

hi!
yes pacman has done an update of itself first and i think i rsynced but i am not sure anymore.
but i havent done anything with lilo.... didn´t know that i have to run 'lilo' after a kernel update (which was uodated).
and i have customized some config files and hav not put them into the ignore section :-/
but where is that documented? i don´t want to destroy linux again when trying an update of the system???
thank you all!
matto

// DAMNiAM //

#9 2004-06-06 11:52:58

tpowa
Developer

while updating the kernel a message appears that you should run lilo
after the update (if you use lilo instead of grub)
the most important files will not be overwritten (if you don't change pacman.conf) more info about pacman: 'man pacman'
from the docs:
6.16 How do I prevent pacman from overwriting a file during an upgrade?

Add the file (minus the leading slash) to the list of files to exclude in your /etc/pacman.conf file:

[options]
NoUpgrade = path/to/file

Board footer