You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-03 21:48:34

WyoPBS
Website

Need help with printer config

Here's the setup:  I have an HP OfficeJet v40xi connected by USB to my Archlinux server, which runs CUPS and samba, and I have a Dell running Winduhs XP (no choice; it's owned by my employer and our software is all DOS/Windows enslaved).

So far I have gotten to the point where linux apps and Windows apps print correctly to the printer, but as my company's resident dinosaur much of my job deals with maintaining and supporting our 15-year-old DOS applications.

These programs can't communicate with USB.  They don't speak PostScript.  They spew out plain text directly to the DOS parallel port (which I have connected to the shared printer with the NET USE command), but they also send a small quantity of PCL (or Epson PS/1) control codes to change font sizes (e.g., \027&k2s) and switch between landscape and portrait modes.

I can't get the PCL output to print correctly.  I'm guessing that whatever filter Samba sends the files through is treating the control codes as printable text, because (for example) instead of switching to landscape, the printed page contains the l1O characters (with the escape and & control code removed).

Ideally I'd like to be able to just send a document/image/whatever to the printer and not have to instruct the print server what driver to use.  Any suggestions on how I can do this?

Answer found: I went over to the cups.org BBS and asked my question there, and got a terrific response.

Last edited by WyoPBS (2007-11-04 02:58:46)

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#2 2007-11-03 22:41:57

WyoPBS
Website

Re: Need help with printer config

Gaaah!  I thought I had posted this to the Workstation User forum... not sure how it ended up here.  Will someone who has the right magic wand move this to the right place?  Thanks.

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Board footer