You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-05 02:05:39

Luis Q. R.

Some questions about the 2.6 kernel.

If I select the option "Automatic kernel module loading" in the "Loadable module support" section, will the kernel load the modules when needed without having to edit the modules.conf, modules.devfs or the modprobe.conf files? Is that posible with the Arch default kernel?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2004-06-05 02:16:16

sarah31
Website

Re: Some questions about the 2.6 kernel.

unless this enables some sort of auto detection i would assume that it may still require some sort of file editing. did you check on google for any details?

sorry i wasn't any help but i look forward to real answers as well.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-06-05 02:31:56

aCoder
Website

It's sort of an 'as needed' or 'work in progress' from what I've seen, but I've no desire to poke around that part of the kernel code, and that's surely where the only good explaination is.  I know it can sucessfully load modules for codepages, unicode, etc.  I've also seen it load fs modules, but it doesn't seem consistent, so it may not be fully implemented.  I think it's an extended version of or supplement to the code that's loaded module dependencies for you so that a 'modprobe snd-emu10k1' also loads all the required ALSA modules.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#4 2004-06-05 11:28:57

i3839

The aliasses in modprobe.conf/modules.conf are there so that the kernel can find the right module when trying to autoload it. It's only needed when there are multiple modules that could handle a certain device, like eth0. All netfilter modules for instance are loaded without a need for aliasses. If you want real module autoloading then install hotplug, that works for most modules.

Board footer