Website

Amarok fails after upgrade

I run full upgrade today.
I was very much up to date so only a few packages were updated:
libcups (1.3.3-1 -> 1.3.4-1)
cups (1.3.3-1 -> 1.3.4-1)
hsqldb-java (1.8.0.8-1 -> 1.8.0.9-1)
imagemagick (6.3.6.3-1 -> 6.3.6.6-1).

Amarok was playing music while I did my download but I had to go out and therefore shut down my pc and when I came back a couple of hour later Amarok will no longer play.

I cannot find any logs about the error but running it in console I can see it go up to 'START' and then no pid is assigned to the application. The strange thing is that is seems to be playing (although no interface shows and no music is heard), since I can see data traffic in the web interface up until I kill amarokapp.

I noticed that I can play Amarok as root, so it has to be some permissions what were altered between the last time I used it and now. I've reinstalled but to no avail.

I find also strange that Amarok would die after the update because I do not see any relationship between the upgrades and Amarok.

Help would be appreciated.

R.

#2 2007-11-04 16:37:07

dunc

Re: Amarok fails after upgrade

Well, I updated everything there except hsqldb-java last night, and I'm listening to Amarok right now. So I'd take it as my first line of inquiry if I were you. Could be a red herring, though.

0 Ok, 0:1

#3 2007-11-04 21:59:22

ralvez
Website

Re: Amarok fails after upgrade

OK. After mocking around with this problem for a day I can confirm this:

1. Amarok starts when the command is executed from the command line or the GUI
2. Data transmission (that is from the Internet) is sent because I can see it in the web inteface (eth0 is sending and receiving data)
3. There is a pid assigned to amarokapp
4. Amarok works for the root user.

But ... for the regular user there is no GUI interface and no audio (audio, of course, works in other applications).

Any troubleshooting ideas  are welcome.

@dunc,

I concur, Amarok braking after the update may just be pure coincidence.

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2007-11-04 21:59:57)

Board footer