You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-25 02:39:50

syan

SOLVED inter-conflicts and dependencies (cairo, libxft/lcd versions)

Hi all,

After reading some of the posts here, I tried to get my fonts to look a little better by installing cairo-lcd and libxft-lcd.  During the pacman -S cairo-lcd libxft-lcd, it found inter-conflicts with cairo and libxft.  I decided it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let pacman remove those two packages and install these other versions instead.  Everything seemed to install correctly, but even after reboot, I didn't notice any significant improvement in my fonts, so I decided I would go back to just cairo and libxft sans the lcd suffix.  Pacman, it seems, has different ideas:

# pacman -S cairo libxft

resolving dependencies... done.
looking for inter-conflicts... 
:: cairo conflicts with cairo-lcd. Remove cairo-lcd? [Y/n] 
:: libxft conflicts with libxft-lcd. Remove libxft-lcd? [Y/n] 
done.
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: cairo-lcd requires cairomm
:: cairo-lcd requires libgdiplus
:: cairo-lcd requires pango
:: cairo-lcd requires poppler
:: cairo-lcd requires pycairo
:: libxft-lcd requires fltk
:: libxft-lcd requires openexr
:: libxft-lcd requires pango
:: libxft-lcd requires qt
:: libxft-lcd requires xorg-utils

I'm not sure why all these dependencies are showing up for the removal of the lcd versions of the fonts when they didn't show up for the removal of the originals.  It seems strange to me, although there's probably a good reason for it.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and/or how I can get rid of the lcd fonts and get the old ones back?  An added bonus would be if anyone can tell me why my fonts for Yahoo! look so weird...

Last edited by syan (2007-11-04 23:37:48)

#2 2007-10-25 03:45:02

fwojciec

Re: SOLVED inter-conflicts and dependencies (cairo, libxft/lcd versions)

first do

# pacman -Rd cairo-lcd libxft-lcd

this will remobe the -lcd packages while skipping dependency checks.  once that is done just run

# pacman -S cairo libxft

reload X and you should be back where you started.

#3 2007-10-25 07:02:23

shining
Pacman Developer

syan wrote:

I'm not sure why all these dependencies are showing up for the removal of the lcd versions of the fonts when they didn't show up for the removal of the originals.  It seems strange to me, although there's probably a good reason for it.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening

It's a bug in pacman 3.0 , fixed in git.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#4 2007-11-03 17:05:43

drg006

Did this fix your fonts for Yahoo?  In any browser I have tried, much of the Yahoo web pages are displayed in a fixed-width font.

#5 2007-11-04 23:30:27

syan

Thanks for the help, fwojciec  That worked for me.  Also nice to know that the bug has been fixed, shining, so thanks for telling me.

drg006:  So far I haven't managed to fix my Yahoo! fonts yet.  I haven't really had a lot of time lately to try to find a solution.  The closest I've gotten is to go to Edit -> Preferences -> Content and in the Fonts and Colors section click on the Advanced button.  In the window that comes up after that, I unchecked the "Allow pages to use their own fonts, instead of my selections above" box.  Doing this makes the fonts look better in Yahoo! but I usually like to see the fonts specified by the web pages as opposed to whatever I set my defaults to, so I'm not sure I really like this solution.  Plus, I think certain pages look better with the box unchecked, like the archlinux forums, for example.  They still look ok now, but I like the other look better.  I'm sure there's a better solution out there somewhere, maybe I need to download more fonts or something.

Edit: I also just changed the Proportional font setting in the Advanced menu mentioned above to Sans Serif and things even better now.  Even the archlinux forums look the way they used to now.  I would still like to know if there's a better way to do this, but unless someone posts a better solution here, I'll probably have to stick with this for a while until I have more time.

Last edited by syan (2007-11-04 23:35:41)

Board footer