You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-26 12:30:56

SchwarzeKrause

HP Pavilion dv6570er

Hi, all.
I'm planning to set up ArchLinux on my new laptop. After I've tried Ubuntu on this box, I fell back to Vista. I don't really like this system, but it doesn't have some problems, Ubuntu had. But that was a while ago, before the release of ALSA 1.0.15 and kernel 2.6.23, now they are even in the stable branch of ArchLinux. So, here are my issues:
HP's 1.3 MP Webcam
Realtek ALC268 audio I'm talking mainly about the internal mic, because I've already managed to set the sound in general up, but that was before the release of ALSA, so the mics didn't work
Fingerprint reader

Touchpad was also a hard point, which I couldn't solve so far. The problem was, that (AFAIK) due to buffer overflow the touchpad (ALPS, if I'm not mistaken) could occasionaly stop responding to any actions and eventually, hang up, which meant that although the system would carry on its current activity, displaying the output the whole input (both keyboard and touchpad) would be blocked and the only way out would be to reset the system. That naturally made my system totally unusable.

#2 2007-11-05 00:58:11

SchwarzeKrause

Re: HP Pavilion dv6570er

OK, after a plenty of work, I'll answer all this by myself)
First, the webcam is actually the Suyin. Works after compiling the latest linux-uvc from svn (probably the AUR version should also work) It's usually called Acer CrystalEye webcam on boards, that's why it was hard to find (however, the ID from lsusb has pointed on the right solution). While using things like Ekiga one should remember that this driver can only work through V4L2.
Then, audio. Everything works just fine, you should just unmute the appropriate channels and choose the right option for capture - the 'front mic', not just 'mic'.
Fingerprint reader is work-in-progress. I mean, the driver that can be used with PAM, not that strange sane-backend. You can see that here.
http://home.gna.org/aes2501/index_en.html
The driver allows you to run a test which would give you a normal image of your fingerprint, but that's it. There is no mechanism of fingerprint comparison and no integration with PAM as yet - however, the author mentioned things would change in 2 weeks or so. They even promise a utility for calibration!
Touchpad works just fine now, no bugs anymore.
So, apart from that, Bluetooth, wifi, ethernet, cardreader, multimedia keys, remote control work fine! Thr only thing left is Lightscribe support which can be obtained through the original driver - but anyway, I don't have any Lightscribe CDs, so I don't need that)
So, I should say that finally my laptop is running fine under Linux, I was tuning things up and waiting for appropriate updates for about a month. Great!)

Board footer