You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-22 03:53:51

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

The Arch Linux Folding@Home team breaks 3 million points

The Arch Linux Folding@Home team breaks 3 million points and is ranked 318 out of 81,260 teams.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ … s=&t=45032

Not bad for a team that averages between 20 and 25 active folders!

Thanks and Congrats to everyone who has folded for Arch.

Pudge

#2 2007-09-22 16:07:16

ezzetabi

Re: The Arch Linux Folding@Home team breaks 3 million points

Sorry for my newbieness, but what is that folding and why should we care?

#3 2007-09-22 18:09:35

Pudge

Stanford University in California, USA is doing research on how proteins fold.  Following is a quote from folding.stanford.edu

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

Stanford is hoping that once it's understood how proteins fold, they can use that information to help figure out why proteins misfold and perhaps lead to a cure or even prevention for the above diseases. 

Why should we care?  Stanford needs massive computing power to do their studies.  Stanford uses distributed computing for their computing power.  Average people all over the world donate their unused CPU cycles to the Stanford project.  I'm not a Doctor, scientist, or whatever, but this is my opportunity to possibly help out man kind in a small way.  As explained in this FAQ section from http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html

Why not just use a supercomputer? Modern supercomputers are essentially clusters of hundreds of processors linked by fast networking. The speed of these processors is comparable to (and often slower than) those found in PCs! Thus, if an algorithm (like ours) does not need the fast networking, it will run just as fast on a supercluster as a supercomputer. However, our application needs not the hundreds of processors found in modern supercomputers, but hundreds of thousands of processors. Hence, the calculations performed on Folding@Home would not be possible by any other means! Moreover, even if we were given exclusive access to all of the supercomputers in the world, we would still have fewer cycles than we do with the Folding@Home cluster! This is possible since PC processors are now very fast and there are hundreds of millions of PCs sitting idle in the world.

To make things more interesting, Stanford keeps track of all work units and lists statistics for each team, and individual folding.  Arch Linux formed a team and there are about 20 to 25 people who regularly fold for Stanford and the Arch Linux team.

Pudge

#4 2007-09-27 23:57:59

alexmat

Woo! Go us! smile

I'm glad I can put all of my extra old computer hardware to use. It's pretty fun and a lot less of a hit on my electric bill than I expected.

Now if they will only hurry up and release a good smp client. The current one only works well with 4 or more cpus. Anyone have tips on how to best utilize a dual processor / single cores system?

#5 2007-09-28 01:07:48

Pudge

alexmat wrote:

Now if they will only hurry up and release a good smp client. The current one only works well with 4 or more cpus. Anyone have tips on how to best utilize a dual processor / single cores system?

Not true.  I run the Linux SMP client on four different Arch64 machines that are all AMD 64 X2 dual core.  They work quite well.  The biggest consideration about running the SMP client is that almost all SMP work units have a 4 day limit for completion. So you need to run them 24 X 7 to complete them before the time limit.  Running 24 X 7 they complete for me in about 48 hours.

EDIT:
Just noticed that Stanford has issued a new SMP client, Version 6 Beta 1.  I will have to check that out as the current Beta version expires OCT 1.

EDIT:
Just installed the x86_64 Linux SMP client Version 6 Beta 1 on one of my Arch 64 computers.  Will see how it does.

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge (2007-09-28 02:40:59)

#6 2007-09-28 19:58:43

alexmat

Please post your results, I would be very interested in getting the SMP client setup.

Also, a nice package wouldn't hurt cool

Last edited by alexmat (2007-09-28 19:59:51)

#7 2007-09-29 01:41:52

dmartins

I have noticed that the SMP client works much better on a linux dual core system than it does on a windows system with similar specs. On my one Windows machine (at work) I run two of the regular clients -- you can do the same in linux if you want, just put them in separate directories.

I have just joined the team recently. Previously (maybe a year+ ago) I was on the Gentoo team with two or three PCs running. I hope to keep the new PCs I have running now contributing for as long as possible. My desktop at home should be no problem but my computer at work will probably become someone elses when i go back to school in January. In the mean time I hope to convince my co-worker to deploy the client to the 100+ PCs on our network via Active Directory (and contribute them to the Arch Linux team of course!)

Btw, Pudge: You seem to be way out in front of everyone else in points per day. I was wondering what machines you have churning away. Perhaps a PS3 in the mix? I have read they can pump out some serious GFLOPS.

#8 2007-09-29 04:36:26

Pudge

alexmat wrote:

Please post your results, I would be very interested in getting the SMP client setup.

Also, a nice package wouldn't hurt cool

In my case, I run all my folding computers at home, and it's just me and my wife.  So the computers are running in a trusted environment.  As such, I just manually start the client in a Gnome terminal window on desktop #4 and leave my computer logged in all the time.  When I need to log out of my Gnome session, reboot, or stop my computer, I get into Desktop #4 and enter Ctrl-C to stop the client.  This is the simplest way to run the client and works for me.  When you use the client like this, a package isn't necessary.

Just download the Linux x86-64 only SMP client version 6.0 Beta 1 http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH … -Linux.tgz into a folder in your home directory.  Use the tar command to untar the file, and you end up with two files named "fah6" and "mpiexec".  This is the first Linux client that requires a passkey.  Go to http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py to get a passkey E-mailed to you.  Once you get the passkey, get into your folding directory and as a user enter:

$ ./fah6  -configonly  -smp

Answer the questions to configure how your client will run.  If you have never run folding at home before, you need to choose a user name.  Go to http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai … =userstats and using the "is exactly" option or the "is like" option enter your chosen user name in the search box and see if someone else is already using that name.  Keep trying user names until you find one not in use.  Enter your user name.  The Arch Linux team number is 45032 so enter that for the team number.  Enter the passkey that Stanford E-mailed you.  I recommend the following for these questions:

User name [Anonymous]? Your_user_name

Team Number [0]? 45032

Passkey []? XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]?    no

Use proxy (yes/no) [no]?    no

Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units  may have large memory demands)
 -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and  'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]?   big

Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?   yes

Core Priority (idle/low) [idle]?  idle

Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]?   no

Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [15]?   15

Memory, in MB, to indicate (1885 available) [1885]? 1885

Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced
  scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]?    yes

Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if
 system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]?   no

Machine ID (1-16) [1]? 1

That's it, you are now configured.  Now that it is configured, enter:

$ ./fah6 -smp

and you are off and running.  Just remember to use the -smp flag when starting the client, and remember to use Ctrl-C to stop it.

dmartins wrote:

I have noticed that the SMP client works much better on a linux dual core system than it does on a windows system with similar specs.

I agree totally with that.

Btw, Pudge: You seem to be way out in front of everyone else in points per day. I was wondering what machines you have churning away. Perhaps a PS3 in the mix? I have read they can pump out some serious GFLOPS.

No, I don't have a PS3.  Here's what I have churning away.

Four SMP clients on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processors running Arch 64 bit.
One SMP client on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor running Windows XP
Three regular clients (non SMP) on AMD Athlon XP single core processors running i686 Arch
One regular client (non SMP) on an AMD Athlon XP single core processor running Windows XP

The vast majority of my points come from the 5 SMP clients.  It's absolutely amazing how fast the SMP client can finish the work units!
If you have a dual core processor, I highly recommend running a single SMP client as opposed to running two regular clients.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention.  To run the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 5 beta, you needed some 32 bit libraries loaded.  I just loaded all the 32 bit libraries listed in the installing Flash on Arch64 Wiki and it worked.  When I went to the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 6 beta 1, I just left the 32 bit libraries in place as I am using them for nspluginwrapper anyway.  So, I have not tested whether the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 6 beta 1 still needs the 32 bit libraries or not.

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge (2007-09-29 04:54:05)

#9 2007-10-03 19:39:11

alexmat

Nice writeup! Thank you. It is a good candidate for a wiki entry. I'd love to see more people folding on our team smile

I went through the process, but unfortunately my box smp is still running Arch 32 and can't run the smp client since it's 64 bit only. I may rebuild it as an Arch 64 box in the near future if I have time.

#10 2007-11-01 07:55:36

DeltaXFX

Hey all, we are ranked 299 now! I just found out about f@h a few weeks ago but think its great... plus its a competition. Maybe we could get something posted on the Arch homepage to get more people interested in it? I would have joined a long time ago if I would have known about it.

The Internet...? Is that thing still around?

#11 2007-11-02 03:09:25

Pudge

DeltaXFX wrote:

Hey all, we are ranked 299 now!

Yeah, I think it is great for a team our size to be in the top 300.  When I first started folding for the Arch Linux team, we were in the upper 900's.  We used to average about 20 to 25 active folders, but lately we have been up to about 35 to 40 active folders.  stunix, dmartins, Natael, plus_M, and NitroXFX are some of the newest folders who have made a big impact.  I am sure I missed some of the newer folders, but thanks to all the newcomers one and all.

@ DeltaXFX.  I did not see anyone folding under the name DeltaXFX.  Do you by chance fold under the name NitroXFX?

Pudge

#12 2007-11-06 15:41:08

soulrider

I would join but im a bit concerned about the electricty bill (ive been even turning my PC off at night), have you noticed any differences at all?

#13 2007-11-06 20:38:46

Phenax

soulrider wrote:

I would join but im a bit concerned about the electricty bill (ive been even turning my PC off at night), have you noticed any differences at all?

Not a big difference, just make sure you turn the monitor off.

Putt's Law wrote:

Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.

#14 2007-11-06 22:37:22

Nihathrael
Website

Pudge wrote:

EDIT:  I forgot to mention.  To run the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 5 beta, you needed some 32 bit libraries loaded.  I just loaded all the 32 bit libraries listed in the installing Flash on Arch64 Wiki and it worked.  When I went to the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 6 beta 1, I just left the 32 bit libraries in place as I am using them for nspluginwrapper anyway.  So, I have not tested whether the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 6 beta 1 still needs the 32 bit libraries or not.

You still need them. I tried running f@h without 32bit libs, and did not work. Now i have my 32bit chroot aktive and everything works fine. I joined the team and hope to be able to produce some points for the team smile

Nice writeup, we might want to make a short wiki entry of that.

Unknown Horizons - Open source real-time strategy game with the comfy Anno 1602 feeling!

#15 2007-11-11 14:18:31

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Just thought it would be worthwhile to encourage everyone to vote for the fah aur packages to be moved to [community]:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … ns=&SeB=nd

BTW, here's my stats (currently folding for Overclockers T32)
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ … =&u=142249

#16 2007-11-11 19:33:45

Pudge

Misfit138 wrote:

Just thought it would be worthwhile to encourage everyone to vote for the fah aur packages to be moved to [community]:

O.K. Voted on all three.

Misfit138 wrote:

Good Stats.  If I combine all my point for the different Teams I have folded for, I have about 1.4 Million points.  So, you got me beat.  Too bad you aren't folding for Arch Linux.  We could use you.

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge (2007-11-11 19:40:35)

#17 2007-11-11 19:43:04

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Pudge wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

O.K. Voted on all three.

Misfit138 wrote:

Good Stats.  If I combine all my point for the different Teams I have folded for, I have about 1.4 Million points.  So, you got me beat.  Too bad you aren't folding for Arch Linux.  We could use you.

Pudge

What team number is Arch? I can borg some for us.

#18 2007-11-11 19:51:57

freigeist

Misfit138 wrote:

What team number is Arch? I can borg some for us.

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#19 2007-11-20 22:50:25

csc

yay for us :>

#20 2007-11-20 23:07:15

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

One machine borged.
How about we start a promotional contest to borg, say, 25 machines  for team 45032, to start?
24 more to go!

#21 2007-11-20 23:11:33

Sekre

4 million points yikes

yay ! big_smile

EDIT : 23 machines to go now wink

Last edited by Sekre (2007-11-20 23:12:03)

#22 2007-11-25 16:58:47

Pudge

To whom ever is folding as stunix;

I am impressed that you are getting around 2000 ppd (points per day) with only one active CPU in the last seven days.  Are you folding on a Quad core using the SMP client?

My dual cores running the SMP client are only getting around 900 to 1000 ppd.  So I assume doubling the number of cores would half the time required to fold a work unit?

Pudge

#23 2007-12-03 02:35:41

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

22 to go. smile

#24 2007-12-04 03:26:33

crouse
Website

I um........ added a "few" machines, have a couple more to add once I get Arch on them.....

Waiting on my next 3.4 Ghz machine to show up.... will add that too -- (dual core) smile

Arch Linux Team now ranks 283 of 89583

Last edited by crouse (2007-12-04 03:49:15)

#25 2007-12-05 17:19:03

crouse
Website

Arch Linux Team now ranks 279 of 89583
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ … php?s=&p=3

Board footer