You are not logged in.

#1 2003-03-25 18:17:58

jon

fonts?

how do i get smooth or anitalised (spelling??) fonts in my programs. I am running the waimea window manager and the 2 main programs that i am conserned about are mozilla and abiword. the fonts in these programs are pretty bad. other programs are fine.

thanks,
jon

#2 2003-03-26 11:02:32

BluPhoenyx

Re: fonts?

The latest Xfree pkg file contains the xft (antialiased) font support and should set things up properly when installed. However, you may need to do a bit more work since sometimes this doesn't fix things for some people.

First, supply some more TTF files as there are woefully few installed. If you don't have Windows or access to more TTF files, try the Sourceforge site and search for the MS TTF webfonts project (or something similar.) Also, you can use Type1 fonts, IIRC.

Next, make sure the paths are correct in the /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and rerun the /etc/fonts/runme file.

my fonts paths in fonts.conf

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
/usr/share/fonts
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts
~/.fonts

It used to be necessary to setup a few environment variables. I don't know for certain if they are still required as I still have them. They are.

export GDK_USE_XFT=1
export QT_XFT=1

and in the ~/gtk2rc (if you use gtk2 apps)

gtk-use=xft = 1

You will also need the latest pango.

As for apps, the standard Mozilla isn't configured for xft. I uploaded a custom version in the arch ftp/incoming (mozilla-1.3-xft I think.) As for abiword, I don't know as I don't use that app but, IIRC, adding the TTF may help.

BluPhoenyx

#3 2003-03-26 11:56:17

Blaasvis

Re: fonts?

the latest pango and gtk2 need recompiling, i hope to release tonight, the version in current now isn't compiled right.

also i was making a package for the webfonts, but i may not package them due to the license sad
so you can download the PKGBUILD from ftp.archlinux.org/incoming.

Freedom is what i love

Board footer