You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-07 14:20:24

MrWeatherbee

Question about dependencies and version checks

I experienced only minor issues with the Xorg update (JAVA assertion errors and a little slow down in certain compositing functionality... both fixable), but because of the ongoing Xorg update discussions, I've been playing around with the packages involved in that update. I made backups of my partitions prior to the update, so I've got the ability to revert when / if desired.

As I see it, these are the packages that were involved in the Xorg upgrade, either directly or indirectly:

libgl / libgl-dri
libx11
libxcb
mesa
renderproto
xcb-proto
xf86-input-evdev
xf86-input-keyboard
xf86-input-mouse
xf86-video-ati
xf86-video-vesa
xorg-server

Assuming that I am correct about [all or some of] the packages' relationships to one another (and that assumption is critical to my post), why can individual packages like the xf86* drivers be installed without having installed either the updated mesa or xorg-server? It certainly doesn't do a system good to be able to do so. smile

Here is the output of a couple of examples where certain packages were set to be ignored by pacman:

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace libgl-dri with extra/libgl? [Y/n] y
warning: glipper-0.95.1-3: ignoring package upgrade (1.0-6)
warning: mesa-6.5.2-1: ignoring package upgrade (7.0.1-1)
warning: xorg-server-1.2.0-5: ignoring package upgrade (1.4-4)
resolving dependencies... done.
looking for inter-conflicts... done.

Remove: libgl-dri  

Targets: libgl-7.0.1-1  xcb-proto-1.1-1  libxcb-1.1-1  libx11-1.1.3-6  renderproto-0.9.3-1  
         xf86-input-evdev-1.1.5-4  xf86-input-keyboard-1.2.2-2  xf86-input-mouse-1.2.3-1  
         xf86-video-ati-6.7.195-1  xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0-5  

Total Package Size:   6.23 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

and

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: libgl-dri-6.5.2-1: ignoring package upgrade (to be replaced by libgl-7.0.1-1)
warning: glipper-0.95.1-3: ignoring package upgrade (1.0-6)
warning: libx11-1.1.3-4: ignoring package upgrade (1.1.3-6)
warning: libxcb-1.0-2: ignoring package upgrade (1.1-1)
warning: mesa-6.5.2-1: ignoring package upgrade (7.0.1-1)
warning: renderproto-0.9.2-1: ignoring package upgrade (0.9.3-1)
warning: xcb-proto-1.0-1: ignoring package upgrade (1.1-1)
warning: xorg-server-1.2.0-5: ignoring package upgrade (1.4-4)
resolving dependencies... done.
looking for inter-conflicts... done.

Targets: xf86-input-evdev-1.1.5-4  xf86-input-keyboard-1.2.2-2  xf86-input-mouse-1.2.3-1  
         xf86-video-ati-6.7.195-1  xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0-5  

Total Package Size:   3.39 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

So, should that be happening?

When I followed through with these updates for testing purposes, X would fail because of various issues, and in the case of the X86* files being installed, the failure of X resulted from inability to load the drivers.

Of course, if all files I posted were allowed to install, X started.

Thank you.

PS
I intentionally left 'Xorg' out of the title of this post to avoid at least some of the negative attention the 'Xorg update' has been getting lately, and for me, the question I'm seeking to have answered is more generically about package dependency and version checking than about Xorg itself.

#2 2007-11-07 15:38:57

djclue917

Re: Question about dependencies and version checks

Because those packages doesn't seem to depend on either xorg-server or mesa:

Name           : xf86-video-ati
Version        : 6.7.195-1
Depends On     : libdrm>=2.3.0
Removes        : None
Required By    : None
Conflicts With : None
Description    : X.org ati video driver

Name           : xf86-input-keyboard
Version        : 1.2.2-2
Depends On     : glibc
Removes        : None
Required By    : None
Conflicts With : None
Description    : X.Org keyboard input driver

#3 2007-11-07 16:16:24

MrWeatherbee

Re: Question about dependencies and version checks

djclue917 wrote:

Because those packages doesn't seem to depend on either xorg-server or mesa:

I guess I wasn't very clear in my post, which is my fault for being in a hurry this morning. But, yes, I do understand that the "official" dependencies are as you posted, otherwise, pacman wouldn't be trying to install them.

My question is, "should these packages be modified to prevent them from installing if the correct version of xorg-server or mesa or whatever isn't installed?"

Perhaps its just been my good fortune, but I have never seen this occur before unless the dependencies and versioning checks were incorrect in the packages.

Alternatively, I suppose the "breakage" that occurs when the individual packages are installed independently of the other updated packages is not related to a "dependency", but that seems highly coincidental. Just in case, I'll ask this easier, more pointed question about one specific package from the list to help further the discussion: should the new 'xf86-video-ati' package, in theory, work with the older version of Xorg?

Last edited by MrWeatherbee (2007-11-07 16:48:03)

Board footer