You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-03 10:36:32

miggols99

Fbsplash for bootsplash?

I have heard that you can have a bootsplash without a patched kernel. Is that right? If so how do I get it? I have a bootsplash (gensplash) on my 32bit computers, but the 64bit one doesn't have a gensplash package...

Last edited by miggols99 (2007-11-03 10:36:54)

#2 2007-11-03 11:56:55

decaturguy

Re: Fbsplash for bootsplash?

hi miggols99!
if u mean one which works in userspace there is Splashy and USplash.
Splashy can be found in AUR
USplash, I've already posted the packages you were looking for. You can find it at the end of this thread -> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=29006&p=2
I have tested Splashy and and USplash with my 32bit computer.
Splashy doesn't work well with archlinux there is no splash when shutting down and rebooting, i hope they fixed this.
USplash no problem at all just install those 3 packages and follow the instruction which is can be found at the beginning of that thread.

#3 2007-11-03 13:30:06

miggols99

I'm using 64bit, so those packages won't work...I found an fbsplash package in the AUR. I installed it, no errors, but I can't get it to show up at boot. I'm using the stock kernel. And I would like to keep it that way. Anyone know how to get it showing?

EDIT: I think that uvesafb, the new vesafb-tng is included in the 2.6.23 vanilla kernel. Is that right? If so when will I expect it to be released?

Last edited by miggols99 (2007-11-03 13:38:34)

#4 2007-11-03 13:49:25

decaturguy

did you follow the the post install instructions of fbsplash? u can find it  /var/log/pacman.log

post_install() {
  echo
  echo " : You should add 'fbsplash' to your rc.conf daemon array"
  echo " : to set vc backgrounds at startup.  Config options for this"
  echo " : script can be found in /etc/fbsplash.conf"
  echo
  echo " : MKINITCPIO CONFIGURATION"
  echo " : Make the following changes in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
  echo " : 1) Add \"fbsplash\" to HOOKS="
  echo " : 2) Append the following to the end of the file:"
  echo "     FBTHEMES=\"darch\""
  echo "     FBRES=\"1024x768\""
  echo
  echo
  echo " : To install the default theme run the following as root:"
  echo "   splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/fbsplash-darch-1024x768  -r 1024x768 darch"
  echo
  echo " : Lilo and Grub samples based on the default theme can be"
  echo " : found in /etc/splash.  REMEMBER - you'll need to update"
  echo " : lilo.conf and run lilo after installing a new theme"
  echo
  echo " : Converting bootsplash themes is easy.  Assuming your themes"
  echo " :  are stored in /etc/bootsplash just run the following as root:"
  echo "     bootsplash2fbsplash bootsplash_theme_name"
  echo
  source /etc/rc.conf
  if [ -z $CONSOLEFONT ] ; then
          echo " : You may need to set a CONSOLEFONT in rc.conf for"
          echo " : fbsplash vc backgrounds to function correctly at startup."
          echo " : Arch uses default8x16.psfu.gz as a default."
  fi
  echo
  echo " : See the Arch Linux wiki for further details: "
  echo " : Also see the HOWTO at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash"
  echo

#5 2007-11-03 16:33:22

miggols99

I did, but mostly followed the gensplash wiki page. I missed out the "To install the default theme..." and did

From the Arch Linux wiki

Kernels with initcpio support

All stock Arch Linux kernels use an initcpio for early boot functionality. Therefore most custom kernels, including pkgs in the AUR, support the initcpio approach.

To enable gensplash support in your kernel you will need to rebuild your initcpio. First, open your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add the hook to enable install fbsplash. Then specify at the end of the file the theme you'll use and at which resolution. ALWAYS try 'darch' first, it's included in the gensplash, and is well tested.

The conf file shall look like this:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect ide resume fbsplash"

FBTHEMES="darch"
     FBRES="1024x768"

then run

mkinitcpio -p kernel_name

I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

#6 2007-11-03 18:13:42

decaturguy

I just installed fbsplash and it didn't work for me, i followed all the instructions and still no splash.  sad

#7 2007-11-03 18:31:11

raymano
Website

Did you try the fbsplash package in AUR?

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#8 2007-11-03 18:36:46

miggols99

raymano wrote:

Did you try the fbsplash package in AUR?

Yes. That was the one I was using. I tried splashy previously, but it didn't work. It would only bootup in fallback mode.

Last edited by miggols99 (2007-11-03 18:40:40)

#9 2007-11-03 19:40:27

raymano
Website

So when you say it didn't work, do you see a splash screen at all? If you don't this means that either you haven't patched the kernel correctly or you don't have the correct boot options in grub.

Or Does the splash screen show but the progress bar doesn't work? This means that there is a problem with the fbsplash package.

Last edited by raymano (2007-11-03 19:41:16)

#10 2007-11-03 20:15:51

miggols99

I am using the stock kernel.  I thought that you didn't need a patched kernel?

#11 2007-11-03 20:59:34

decaturguy

raymano wrote:

So when you say it didn't work, do you see a splash screen at all? If you don't this means that either you haven't patched the kernel correctly or you don't have the correct boot options in grub.

Or Does the splash screen show but the progress bar doesn't work? This means that there is a problem with the fbsplash package.

I'm using stock kernel as well, I've tried USplash and Splashy. Usplash is great works for me.. I've been using it for months. Splashy doesn't work well with arch, u get splash during start but no splash  when shutting down and rebooting.

according to Michał Januszewski aka spock the guy who maintain.

* fbsplash
    * fbcondecor
    * vesafb-tng
    * uvesafb

http://mjanusz.wordpress.com/

Recently, in the hope of making things clearer and easier for everyone to understand, I decided to do some renaming in my splash projects. The result: the kernel patch is now called fbcondecor (previously: fbsplash), the userspace part used to display the silent splash screen during boot is called fbsplash, and there is no longer anything named gensplash. The core fbsplash applications, along with some additional utilities are distributed in a single package called splashutils (available as media-gfx/splashutils in Gentoo).

So, to sum things up: fbsplash = silent splash, fbcondecor = verbose splash.

The reasons for the name changes:

* Since the gensplash project was started, everyone referred to the userspace part as "fbsplash" anyway.
    * Many people don't realize that fbsplash is fully functional and usable without any kernel patches.
    * fbcondecor (which stands for: Framebuffer Console Decorations), which was previously named "fbsplash", has nothing to do with displaying the splash screen during boot. The only thing that it does is displaying pictures in the background of system consoles. This is not a splash screen, but a decoration and should thus be named accordingly.

#12 2007-11-04 00:34:11

raymano
Website

You don't need a kernel patch for fbsplash if you don't mind seeing a few text lines in the beginning of the boot process. the fbcondecor patch allows  the background image to be displayed on the console from the very beginning of the boot process.

Installing fbsplash from AUR by itself is not enough. You also need to install initscripts-splash that interacts with the fbsplash package. I suspect fbsplash is working. You can try it this. Logged in as root issue the following command:

splash_manager -c demo -t darch -m s --steps=100

You should see the splash screen. If you do then you need to install initscripts-splash and edit /etc/rc.conf and add SPLASH="fbsplash" to get it to work. See the wiki for more instructions.

#13 2007-11-04 13:57:38

decaturguy

I have installed initscripts-splash and run splash_manager -c demo -t darch -m s --steps=100 i got errors about fgconsole, paths are wrong. u can symlink fgconsole to /lib/splash/bin or install miscsplashutils to fix the error
which i did and run splash_manager -c demo -t darch -m s --steps=100 again guess what it worked. but when i rebooted my computer no splash.

here are my settings:

menu.lst
# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux 2007.07 (Don't Panic)
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 vga=0x318 splash=silent,theme:darch console=tty1 quiet
initrd /boot/kernel26.img
rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network @netfs @crond hal @fam @portmap fbsplash @alsa @gdm @bluetooth)

SPLASH="fbsplash"
mkinitcpio.conf
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usb usbinput filesystems fbsplash"
FBTHEMES="darch"
FBRES="1024x768"

#14 2007-11-04 14:39:32

miggols99

decaturguy wrote:

I have installed initscripts-splash and run splash_manager -c demo -t darch -m s --steps=100 i got errors about fgconsole, paths are wrong. u can symlink fgconsole to /lib/splash/bin or install miscsplashutils to fix the error
which i did and run splash_manager -c demo -t darch -m s --steps=100 again guess what it worked. but when i rebooted my computer no splash.

here are my settings:

menu.lst
# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux 2007.07 (Don't Panic)
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 vga=0x318 splash=silent,theme:darch console=tty1 quiet
initrd /boot/kernel26.img
rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network @netfs @crond hal @fam @portmap fbsplash @alsa @gdm @bluetooth)

SPLASH="fbsplash"
mkinitcpio.conf
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usb usbinput filesystems fbsplash"
FBTHEMES="darch"
FBRES="1024x768"

When I installed gensplash to my 32bit computers, they refused to work without vesafb-tng (they had the fallen kernel). The next kernel release (2.6.24) has uvesafb included, which is the successor to vesa-tng, and works with 64bit! I'm not sure when it will come out, but I'm hoping it will be soon smile

Last edited by miggols99 (2007-11-04 14:41:17)

#15 2007-11-07 21:08:36

decaturguy

How come the bootsplash never works for me, even with the old beyond kernel i could never make it work.

This time i installed patched kernel kernel26kamikaze for AUR it has uvesafb.
I installed this packages too plus all their dependencies.
klibc-kamikaze
v86d-kamikaze
Fbsplash
initscripts-splash
miscsplashutils

mkinitcpio.conf i added this hooks fbsplash v86d and the the end
FBTHEMES="darch"
FBRES="1024x768"

rc.conf i added SPLASH="fbsplash" and fbsplash to the daemons list

menu.lst
# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux 2007.07 (Don't Panic)
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26kamikaze root=/dev/sda1 video=uvesafb:1024x768-32,mtrr:3,ywrap splash=silent,theme:darch console=tty1
initrd /boot/kernel26kamikaze.img

i have even tried with this commands verbose quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
I have tried 1024x768-16 24 with even @60 @70... other resolutions 1280x1024, 800x600, i have read our wiki gentoo wiki
googled allot.

created new inittramf with mkinitcpio -p kernel26kamikaze
i can set background pictures to TTY from inside arch with this command splash_manager --theme=darch --cmd=set --tty=1
even the demo works splash_manager -c demo -t darch -m s --steps=100

Here is my Computer Spec:
Dell Optiplex GX620
Pentium D 2,8 GHz
1,5GB RAM & 160GB SATA
Intel 945G Graphics Controller

Somebody help this is driving me crazy mad

#16 2007-11-08 03:08:14

raymano
Website

decaturguy,

Try everything you did except replace fbsplash with gensplash from AUR. It seems like there are still things I have overlooked with fbsplash. But for now I have a similar setup to yours except for using gensplash instead of fbsplash and it is working.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Make sure to change SPLASH="gensplash" in rc.conf as well.

Last edited by raymano (2007-11-08 10:53:41)

Board footer